VMware Horizon Community
dborgill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Transitioning From Home Horizon Lab to Azure Cloud

For years I've been playing with my own HPe Proliant Gen9 servers in my home lab for Horizon which consists of the VMs listed below. I've rebuilt it so many times, I've got all the components and build process down. Now, I need to start learning how to do it all in Azure Cloud. I realize that there is a full Horizon Cloud build instance in Azure but starting completely from scratch, what's the easiest way to lab/trial/replicate the on-prem components below in Azure for the simplest tests for a total Azure novice?

• Simple 2019 AD controller (LabDC01)

• Horizon 8 Connection Server (LabCS01)

• Latest UAG Appliance (LabUAG01)

• vCenter 7 Server Appliance (LabVC01)

• Windows 10 Persistent Desktop (LabVDI01)

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As you mentioned, we can run Horizon on Azure using AVS and this should be the best way. https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/cloud-solutions/microsoft-azure-vm... 

We should also be able to add these VMs independently and install Horizon AD etc., but I haven't personally tried it and not sure if its supported, but I would expect it to work.

-- If you find this reply helpful, please consider accepting it as a solution.
dborgill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Jubish - This is a great overview but I am wondering if there are any guides to get started. Like most of VMware's solution sets, there are so many options and components, it gets absolutely overwhelming and daunting.

I just need to find the simplest way to get the most basic Horizon lab/config going in Azure as mentioned. I don't need ANY bells and whistles.

0 Kudos
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Here is something which I found which looks pretty detailed. 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-vmware/ 

-- If you find this reply helpful, please consider accepting it as a solution.