VMware Horizon Community
chrismanson
Contributor
Contributor

Time Zone Redirection Issue on Wyse Thin OS

Has anyone got time zone redirection working correctly to a View agent in XP from a Wyse thin OS terminal? I have found a bug which Wyse have yet to get to the bottom of where by if you set the time zone in the terminal to be one with multiple locations (in our case GMT -5 has three: Bogota, Lima, Quito; Eastern Time (US & Canada); Indiana (East) and we require Eastern Time), the time zone which is redirected in the XP desktop session uses the first from list - in our case the XP session time zone is Bogota,Lima, Quito when the correct time zone set on the terminal is set to Eastern Time. I have reproduced this with other time zones with multiple locations and this not an issue when connecting from a Windows client using the View Client. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What version of WTOS are you using? Also, are you setting the time zone manually on the device or via wnos.ini? If via wnos.ini, can you send the statement you're using?

0 Kudos
chrismanson
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for you response. The version of WTOS we are using is 6.4.0_12.

We do set the time zone via wnos.ini file but I have set this manualy on

the terminal as well for testing purposes (both ways have the same

problem). See below section of wnos.ini file for timezone settings for

our EST terminals:

Timeserver=10.10.10.14 Timeformat="24-hour format" Dateformat=mm/dd/yyyy

TimeZone='GMT - 05:00' ManualOverride=yes Daylight=yes Start=030207

End=110107 TimeZoneName="Eastern Standard Time" DayLightName="Eastern

Daylight Time"

Many thanks,

Chris Manson | IT PS Technical Services | CLS Services

Exchange Tower | One Harbour Exchange Square | London | E14 9GE

Tel: +44 (0)20 7971 5807 | Fax: +44 (0)20 7971 5729 | www.cls-group.com

0 Kudos
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm running the same wtos version and don't have this problem. Below is my time statement. Like Eastern, Central Time is not the first in the list (Central America is first). I checked both the device and Windows and both are correct. In your post, the two statements appear on three lines (may just be the way the community editor works). Make sure there are only two statements in your wnos.ini with no line breaks. As you know, wnos.ini is very sensitive to line breaks and even trailing spaces.

Timeserver=hma-ad-auth.mfg.am.mds.honda.com Timeformat="12-hour format" Dateformat=mm/dd/yyyy

TimeZone='GMT - 06:00' ManualOverride=yes Daylight=yes Start=030207 End=110107 TimeZoneName="Central Standard Time" DayLightName="Central Daylight Time"

0 Kudos
chrismanson
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I've tried using the statement from your wnos file and I still get the

issue with the incorrect time zone location. However I found out why it

works for you: if I set the time zone the same in the virtual desktop

image as the terminal then time zone redirection in the session is

correct. Any other time zone set on the terminal other than the time

zone set on the virtual desktop will exhibit the same problem for a

session if there are multiple locations for that time zone. This is no

good for us as we will have multiple configured time zone terminals

connecting to the same virtual desktops - I know I could increase the

amount of Pools to accommodate different time zones but I shouldn't have

to (it works fine from View client running on a Windows desktop).

Many thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My experience with Wyse support has been marginal at best. However, I get outstanding support from my Wyse account team - in particular my Wyse technical rep. I would suggest calling on your account team to see if they can help.

0 Kudos
chrismanson
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help on this one. I've already got a case open with my Wyse account manager which appears to be going slowly in acknowledging the issue let alone resolving it. I was just interested if anyone else had seen the same problem.

0 Kudos
amusica
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I too am experiencing the same problem..But mine goes a step further, in the bottom right hand corner when still at WTOS login/splash screen is still up time reflects GMT (no offset, but if i goto settings it shows GMT - 05:00

oh and our statement is similar

Timeserver=10.5.0.1 Timeformat="12-hour format" Dateformat=mm/dd/yyyy

TimeZone='GMT - 05:00' ManualOverride=yes daylight=yes start=030207 end=110107 TimeZoneName="Eastern Standard Time" DayLightName="Eastern Daylight Time"

0 Kudos
Lupem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found directing the terminal straight to your network time keeper is best. Domain servers is best. Terminals have issues trying to get out of you network into the internet with out setting firewall rules out. I completely removed time keeping from the INI file. I only keep Video and TCX licensing on the INI.

Also, who do you call for your Wyse Account manager. Mine sucks. The wyse engineer i was working with works out of isreal. Had issues communicating with them because they were sending email in Arab format and our spam filter blocks all non-english emails. Took days for responses on work stoppage issues.

0 Kudos
DBuxton
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to post to say we were having the same issue - having the 'Timezone' setting as 'GMT' gave the correct time, but caused events in Outlook to be in the 'Monrovia, Reykjavik' locale instead of London, where we are. Managed to fix this by entering the entire '(GMT) Greenwich Mean Time: Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London' string in the timezone field - this caused an error to appear in the thin client bootup log but fixed the Outlook issue and continued to provide the correct time.

0 Kudos
greyforth
Contributor
Contributor

We got this resolved by making the following change to the time settings in wnos.ini. The difference is small so you really have to look to see it. Smiley Happy

Original file:

;*************************************************************

;* Time *

Timeserver=timeserver.am.adsint.biz Timeformat="12-hour format" Dateformat=dd/mm/yyyy

TimeZone='GMT - 05:00' ManualOverride=yes Daylight=yes Start=030207 End=110107 TimeZoneName="US Eastern Standard Time" DayLightName="US Eastern Daylight Time"

Revised file:

;* Time *

Timeserver=timeserver.am.adsint.biz Timeformat="12-hour format" Dateformat=dd/mm/yyyy

TimeZone='GMT - 05:00' ManualOverride=yes Daylight=yes Start=030207 End=110107 TimeZoneName="Eastern Standard Time" DayLightName="Eastern Daylight Time"

0 Kudos