VMware Horizon Community
GCIC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This desktop currently has no desktop sources available

Evaluating VMWare View Manager. When logging in via browser or client everything goes normally and shows VM's available. When I click on a pool, I get an error.

"The desktop has failed to open (poolname). This desktop currently has no desktop sources available. Please try connecting to this desktop again later, or contact your system administrator. "

The VM's are domain member and available easily via Virtual Center they just will not go to the client.

What am I missing here?

0 Kudos
56 Replies
BearHuntr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We had this same problem for some of our Virtual Desktops when we upgraded from VDM 2.1 to View 3.0. What seemed to fix it was either a reboot of the VM having the problem or a reinstall of the View agent followed by a reboot of the VM. It didn't affect every machine though, only a few. We used LANDesk to push the agent to all of our machines.

0 Kudos
ITRC_Architect
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guys,

We finally fixed it on our side. After a long struggle, reinstalling agents, rebooting XP guests...

Someone suggested we reboot the VDM server itself. So, what the hell. We rebooted the VDM (View) server and everything started working @#@$%@%! Instantly, all our guests were seen.

All of those hours troubleshooting the Guests and the View agents... and a reboot of the VDM (View) server was the fix. It may not work for you guys, and it is a pain rebooting production VDM servers, but you may give that a try.

Fowler

0 Kudos
altapowder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately this did not work for us. I have rebooted the entire system (ESX Servers, vCenter, and View Server) and we still get the same error when trying to logon through the VMware View client. Does anyone have another solution worth trying? Has tech support ever gotten back to you on this one?

0 Kudos
ctboyle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problem until I turned off the windows firewall on one the linked clones. I haven't tested adding the view agent to windows firewall exception list on the parent vm before cloning

0 Kudos
dawho9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I will second the disable the firewall completely. Same deal for us. Disabled and it works, enabled with RDP exceptions did not.

Richard

0 Kudos
dpomeroy
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The good news is that I fixed my problem, the bad news is that I fixed it by deleting everything and starting over from scratch. I did want to move everything to a different VC server and ESX cluster, so I just started over and now everything is working. VMware support was unable to find the cause of the original problem though, so that is a little disappointing, but at this point for just a test of View I'm not going to worry about it.

I think the troubleshooting steps provided in this thread would resolve the problem for most people though.

Don Pomeroy

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
altapowder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When you say you "Started Over" does that mean you rebuilt everything including the VMware view server? Or did you just delete the pool and get it to work?

0 Kudos
kpkarthik
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear all,

1.Login each virtual machine as an user. (through vc or rdp)

2.now login with view agent

3.Now able to login the vm without this Error!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think the problem was i didnt use sysprep. once a user profile is created in the virtual machine ican able to login thru vm view

Thanks and Regards

KPKarthik

0 Kudos
MartijnLo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I get this error as well. Here's what I tried so far:

• I can login to the virtual desktop with RDP, no problem.

• Sysprep works, including joining the virtual desktop to the domain.

• The virtual desktops are in a different VLAN from the manager server, controlled by an ACL. All the necessary ports have been opened as described in the manual.

• Restarted the View Manager server

• Re-installed the agent into the template

• Made an entirely new template from scratch with normal Windows XP .iso (was an nLite stripped version before)

• Put the host servers / adresses into the hosts file on the View Manager server

This is with a non-persistent pool by the way. In the View Manager server the deployment is stuck at "Customizing". With an individual desktop it is stuck at "Waiting for agent".

As a last resort I am having all traffic allowed between the two VLAN's to see if we have connectivity that way and I asked the network admin to check if he could find out what requests were made at which network ports to see if there was stuff they missed in configuring the ACL's.

0 Kudos
MartijnLo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

To answer my own post with the solution (at least in my case). It turned out that the network admin did not open port 4001. Also 3389 traffic was configured the wrong away around.

So triple check your port configuration / deny logs before trying anything else to solve the issue Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
dwightgoble
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In my case, I looked at the View Manager and it said the Source VMs were still in a customizing state. I went to the VC and then I right clicked on the VM and upgraded the VMTools. Then choose the auto upgrade option and after it upgraded the tools it rebooted and put in into a ready state. I thin connected perfectly with the view client.

Good Luck all,

0 Kudos
LJM73
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To fix this issue, I removed the View Agent from the virtual desktop, rebooted, then re-installed.

This was an upgrade from v2 (VDM) to v3 (View).

0 Kudos
kimono
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm with Don. Took me a complete uninstall and reinstall to fix it, including ADAM.

I suspect it was a buggered upgrade of VDM 2.1 to View 3.0.1.

Not mentioning the very tedious (3 weeks) SR just to get the license key were entitled to as VDM customers just to get View Enterprise....

/kimono/

/kimono/
0 Kudos
Pollekkepol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm still wrestling with this issue. Has anyone come up with a solution?

0 Kudos
altapowder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We were able to resolve this by enabling remote desktop connections on our pool vm's. Once we found this out we have had no problems with our pool systems yet.

0 Kudos
Pollekkepol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just verified this to make sure. unfortunately it was already turned on. The View Administrator Console still tells me 'waiting for agent'.

0 Kudos
nvmikem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also had seen the issues listed above and was able to fix the issue by installing Sun's Java on the View Administrator Console Server. I hope this is a help to someone.

0 Kudos
VDIWannabe007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I eventually solved this issue that I was having:

I checked that I could ping the FQDN of all my virtual clients. I also checked all my DNS settings. I was using Microaoft Network Load Balancing between my two brokers. After I disabled network load balancing this error went away. It seems that this may have been the cause of the error in the first place...?? anyone else experience this?

0 Kudos
mdl92x
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am have this same exact error message and cannot figure out how to resolve this. Everything was working fine up until yesterday night, and this morning this message started to appear. The status says "ready" and I have tried rebooting the VM, the security server as well as the connection server. I've also checked to make sure the approriate services for each of those machines are running. I can log into the view portal without an issue and I can RDP into each of the machines without issue as well.

Any ideas on what could have caused this to stop working?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Elthe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I was having the same problem. I've fixed it yet. I don't know why, but my VM wasn't anymore in the domain, and it causes this error. I've simply reinsert the VM in the domain and it work fine!

Good luck!

0 Kudos