VMware Horizon Community
toffza
Contributor
Contributor

Thinprint over Security server

Hi all;

I got a use case where the end user is using a zero client on a remote office connecting through the internet (no vpn) via security server 6.2. Is location based printing usable in that scenario where the user can use the branch office printers (on the same network than the zero client).

My issue is that the end user VM have no connectivity to the branch office printer and in my lab the only way to do that was allowing ip connectivity between the desktop VM and the remote printer.

It's like a Desktop as a service solution. How printing redirection is handled in that scenario.

Regards

3 Replies
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can attach a printer to the zero client by USB. You could create a print server that has access to the remote office.

toffza
Contributor
Contributor

Hi;

Thanks a lot for your answear.

I'm aware abour the usb redirection but the use case is for a lan one. And the client impose a lan printer and no vpn connexion. So the print server at the remote office will not be reachable from the vdi vm. I was wondering if there was a way to redirect the print jobs from the VM to the zero client which have access to the printer but through the tunnel that the zero client establish through the Security Server.

I know that technicly it seems to be unfeasable (Can make it work via SNAT rule to redirect connexion the printer but a lot of braches hard to maintain)  but wondering if someone had the same needs.

The only way that i see is to create a SNAT rule on at the branch office to redirect connexion from the outside to the printer. And map the printer to the VDI VM.

Sorry for my English and thank again.

Regards

0 Kudos
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think the answer is you cannot do that. One alternative is to get a ThinClient instead of a zero that can have local print drivers installed and then you can use ThinPrint functionaility. Otherwise without a VPN or some connectivity back to the remote site I am afraid you will have very limited options. You may have to look at third party software, possibly there is a web based product that can act as a universal print server.