VMware Horizon Community
lschwingler2
Contributor
Contributor

ThinPrint direct network printing

Is it possible to install a local TCP/IP printer on the virtual desktop that uses the ThinPrint driver? ThinPrints website says this is possible but I can't get it to work and VMware support was no help.

Also, any additional info on how thinprint printing works would be a huge help since there is no documentation (or any i can find).

I am using view 4.0 with ESX 4.0 Update1.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DwayneL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First thing, thinprint is only available with RDP right now.

you can't use IP printing in the VM because there needs to be something on other end to decompress the print job. The Client VDM client or WTOS is used to decompress the print job once it gets back to the client.

Could you explain the usecase your thinking of? There are thinprint gateways you could install to use IP printing though.

-Dwayne Lessner

-Dwayne Lessner
0 Kudos
lschwingler2
Contributor
Contributor

I have kind of an odd situation. Inside of our virtual desktops users will be connecting to a citrix session for our medical records system. When you launch your citrix session, it maps your default printer so you can print whatever from the system. The problem is when users switch physical terminals, citrix doesn't re-map the new printer, it keeps the one it mapped when they first launched the citrix connection.

But, if I'm doing direct IP printing, I can make a script that changes the IP of the installed printer so as users switch terminals, the IP of the locally installed printer gets changed in the registry (but its the same "printer" as far as windows is concerned) and windows forwards the print to whatever IP that is.

I'm sure there is a way to do it by changing IP and driver of the locally installed printer but if there is a way with a ThinPrint driver, that would be all the better. Any thoughts on that or maybe a different way to approach this?

0 Kudos
lschwingler2
Contributor
Contributor

Do you know which ThinPrint gateways and how to get them to use IP printing (is it included with view or separate)?

Thanks,

Luke

0 Kudos