VMware Horizon Community
YakimaCountyVmw
Contributor
Contributor

ThinPrint + Composer: Printers will not consistently show up

We have Composer VMs where the ThinPrint printers will often not show up.  It's a situation where either they all show up or none of them do.  This happens even when the View Client is delayed in starting on the terminal.  We need this to work consistently or it just isn't an option.

The terminals in question are usually PC's with full WinXP Pro and View Client 4.6.  The printers vary from USB to Ethernet, with HP as the main brand.

Digging through the forums didn't produce any answers, but if I missed something please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Is there a configuration in the vSphere client or the View server somewhere that have options?  The only option I can see is on the VM side with the Agent install...and that's just whether or not to have the feature.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Have you been able to narrow this down to a certain type of printer?    The best bet may be to enable logging on some of your machines and see if you can duplicate the issue.  I looked througn my notes and found the below on how to enable logging for Thinprint.

On Virt. Desktop
1. Enable tpautoconnect logging

Use regedit to add the following:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ThinPrint\ TPAutoConnect] "DebugFile"="C:\\tpautoconnect.log"
"DebugLevel"=dword:000000ff
1. Restart the tpautoconnect service

2 - Enable Thinprint logging on VIRTUAL desktop

Add the following registry entry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ThinPrint\TPVMMon]
DebugFile=C:\\thinprint.log
DebugLevel=dword:000000ff
DebugMode=dword:00000003

3- Enable Thinprint logging on the host system (Your physical desktop)

Add the following registry entries:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ThinPrint\Client]
DebugFile=C:\\thinprintclient.log
DebugMode=dword:00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ThinPrint\TPViewture]
DebugFile=C:\\tpviewture.log

0 Kudos
YakimaCountyVmw
Contributor
Contributor

I've enabled logging, but now I can't get it to break on my test VM.  I'll probably re-enable TP on the production VMs with logging so I can hopefully catch it.  When I have the problem repeat itself I will report more specifics on the printer.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos