VMware Horizon Community
pchafer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ThinApp desktop icon setup in View 5.0

Hello,

For some reason the 2nd ThinApp application I assigned to a pool of desktop installs fine but does not create a desktop icon on the VM itself.

My first ThinApp worked fine and created the icon.

Is there anyway to push the icon to the desktop in View Manager?

I can browse to the program location within the VM and run from there but ideally would like the desktop icon created for each ThinApp installed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Peter.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vedeht
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Assuming SAPgui.exe was the entry point.

Add this to the package.ini file

Shortcuts=%Desktop%

[SAPgui.exe]
Shortcut=saplgpad.exe
Disabled=1
Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\SAP\FrontEnd\SAPgui\SAPgui.exe
;Change ReadOnlyData to bin\Package.ro.tvr to build with old versions(4.6.0 or earlier) of tools
FileTypes=.sap
Shortcuts=%Desktop%

Now save the file and run build.bat to recompile the thinapp package into the bin directory.  You will need to run build.bat on the workstation or server you installed Thinapp on.

Try our VMWare View Demo on www.virtualdojo.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vedeht
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When you created the application did it create an icon on the desktop?

Open the captures folder and paste the package.ini file into this thread so I can look at it.

0 Kudos
pchafer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No it didn't for the 2nd app. It did however create it for the first app published.

package.ini attached. I didn't edit this before building so please advise if something needs editing in this .ini file?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
vedeht
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You shouldn't have to edit the package.ini file normally but I can edit it to put the shortcut back in there.  What's the name of the .exe you want to create a shortcut to on the desktop?

0 Kudos
vedeht
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Assuming SAPgui.exe was the entry point.

Add this to the package.ini file

Shortcuts=%Desktop%

[SAPgui.exe]
Shortcut=saplgpad.exe
Disabled=1
Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\SAP\FrontEnd\SAPgui\SAPgui.exe
;Change ReadOnlyData to bin\Package.ro.tvr to build with old versions(4.6.0 or earlier) of tools
FileTypes=.sap
Shortcuts=%Desktop%

Now save the file and run build.bat to recompile the thinapp package into the bin directory.  You will need to run build.bat on the workstation or server you installed Thinapp on.

0 Kudos
pchafer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Legend! That works! Thanks very much. Not sure why it missed the desktop creation entry but I'll be sure to check the .ini file in future.

Peter.

0 Kudos
pchafer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any idea how to change the shortcut from saplgpad.exe to something like SAP LOGON?

Thanks,

Peter.

0 Kudos
vedeht
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The easiest way to do it would be to create the shortcut and name it when you install the software before you run Thinapp setup capture.  It will get the shortcut and create it whatever name you named it.  It's not as easy to rename the shortcut with the package.ini file. 

Just in case you wanted here is the package.ini file explaination guide from VMware.  http://www.vmware.com/pdf/thinapp47_packageini_reference.pdf

pchafer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much appreciated.

Peter.

0 Kudos