VMware Horizon Community
DB1213141516
Contributor
Contributor

ThinApp - Writing Outside the Sandbox

I am posting this because I expect this is a scenario that others may be interested in.  I want to know which scenarios "write outside the sandbox" within a ThinApp application and which ones .  Our company is probably not unique in the fact that we want to refresh our images either nightly or on logoff to prevent base-image corruption.  We ran into some performance issues when we have the Sandbox sitting out on a server-share due to some large local database reads/writes.  We also ran into a few issues related to Sandbox corruption, and are wanting to wipe out the sandbox on refresh to prevent this corruption.  What we would like to do is have the sandbox sitting locally, and write a few pieces of data outside the sandbox from within the application.  For example, at the launch of our application, we create a SQL CE Database file we use for most of our local application data. If we want to route this to the "H:" drive, will that write to a newly created virtual "H" drive, or will that write to the actual "H:" drive present on the machine.  Is there a table somewhere that will tell me the rules around whether data within the app will be written outside the sandbox, or within the sandbox?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DB1213141516
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I found my own answer (I think).  It looks to me like any folders that aren't virtualized in the ThinApp Capture folder read/write outside the sandbox, while any folders that show as virtualized in the ThinApp Capture folder read/write inside the sandbox.  So, since my ThinApp Capture folder had %D_Drive%, it would write in the sandbox for everything written out to "D", but since there was no %E_Drive% it would write to the actual E: on the machine.  Hopefully this helps someone else.

0 Kudos