VMware Horizon Community
muzscman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thin clients won't connect to View.

Okay so this is odd. I have an HP thin client (model hstnc-006-tc in case that's important) sitting in my NOC. I point it to my connection server. I can login via the DC from the thin client, see the desktop that the user has entitlements for, but when they go to connect it says "The Vew Connection Server is preparing the Desktop" and sits there for about 30 seconds. After that 30 seconds or so it errors out with the following error: "This desktop is currently not available. Please try connecting to this desktop again later, or contact your system administrator."

Inside of connection manager I see my desktop as available. It is enabled, entitled and powered on. I get no errors on the events portion of this. Now, my connection server and vcenter server actually live on different networks. Could that be causing a problem? It wasn't when I was testing this all from my desk. I was under the impression that the thin client wouldn't have to talk to vcenter, it only needed to talk to the connection server, which ports 443, 3389 and 4001 are open to.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npeter
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Please check you can ping using fqdn from

Agent machine to connection server

Client machine to connection server

Client machine to Agent machine

-nObLe

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Can you connect to the virtual desktop using the regular, plain Windows' view client on a desktop? It'd be worth ruling out whether it is an issue with the thin client or the virtual desktop.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
muzscman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I attempted from my workstation that sits on the same network as the thin client and I get the following error:

"The View Connection Server connection failed (null)"

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is this a dedicated desktop? Is there another user already assigned for this desktop?

-nObLe
0 Kudos
muzscman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Each of my users has their own standalone VM. There is no one connected to the ones I'm testing.

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Have you tried just resetting the desktop through the Admin panel and seeing if that clears everything up?

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What i mean is not having a connection, but the VM assigned to another user, you can check if another user is assigned to this desktop from Desktop list.

The error you got in workstation is most likey from a proxy configured in IE. Please disable proxy and try if this is the case.

-nObLe
muzscman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've reset the desktop via vcenter, but haven't tried with view admin. I'm trying right now.

0 Kudos
muzscman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VM's are only assigned to the users that I want to have access to them. One user per standalone VM.

In workstation, I'm using the actual view client to connect, not IE.

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

View Client picks proxy settings from IE, but not bypass settings Smiley Happy

Ok, i guess you have pools with single VM and entitled single user.

-nObLe
0 Kudos
muzscman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

IE has no proxy, just checked.

And yes. I have standalone VM's (clones from a master copy) and each VM only has one entitled user.

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

>I was under the impression that the thin client wouldn't have to talk to  vcenter, it only needed to talk to the connection server, which ports  443, 3389 and 4001 are open to.

View client doesn't talk to vCenter. It talks only to Connection Server and if the Connectuions are 'Direct' then to agent machine too.

If your client won't be able to directly reach Agent's network then make sure you have Tunneled connections enabled and your thin client model supports Tunneled connetions.

-nObLe
0 Kudos
muzscman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just found this error in the events:

Unable to launch from Pool USERNAME for user USERNAME: Failed to connect to machine bsc.

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Please check you can ping using fqdn from

Agent machine to connection server

Client machine to connection server

Client machine to Agent machine

-nObLe
0 Kudos
muzscman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Stupid question, but what is the agent machine? The thin client?

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

hehe.. The vm in vCenter on which view  Agent is installed.

-nObLe
0 Kudos
muzscman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And that make sense. Let me check now.

0 Kudos
muzscman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Think we got it. It was DNS all along. My networking team hadn't opened up the correct ports so it could do an nslookup and now we got it working. Thanks!

0 Kudos