VMware Horizon Community
biokovo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thin client and audio

We are considering to set up thin clients for telephone operators workers.

I try t5545 thin client but the sound on the headphones is not good.

Does anyone has some experience with audio over HP thin clients, and which features (RAM?) is important?

Any other thin client?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jaksun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have done extensive tests with audio, not on thin clients but on zero clients featuring the Teradici 1100 cpu.

These tests are made for the single purpose of me wanting to support softphones in our current VDI deployment

Before view 4.6 and teradici fw 3.3.0 this was a dead end, usb bidirectional audio was not supported.

Now with the release of View 4.6 and Teradici FW 3.3.0(3.3.1) bidirectional usb audio works, tho it's not completly without problems.

Status with the teradici analogue driver:
The analogue driver for the teradici chipset works and has fairly good audio quality, tho the microphone cuts out randomly a few times a day.

Status with USB audio:
USB audio works and has great compatibility with alot of headset vendors, i've not managed to find one that does not work. Tho there are a few quality issues, for example if you open up a window, let's say microsoft outlook, and start dragging it around, you and the person on the other side of the phone will get alot of klicks and choppyness, the same thing happens if you scroll a very graphic intensive pdf document or you do something else that requires alot of attention from the cpu/storage. In win7 this is not a huge problem tho, it's totally manageable but it sure would be nice to get rid of this issue.

//Jakob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MAHC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have had NO luck with thin clients when it comes to audio but I have been having a lot better success with a 10zig zero client.  My self I have not been working with any phone software but more with transcription play back.

eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

We gave up on Thin Clients and went straight to Zero Clients. Too many things were just inoptimal out of the box with thin clients. Zero clients (EVGA PD20, Wyse P20, Dell FX100, etc) are just so much better. They're all the same chipset, so vendor choice is up to preference. The EVGA unit is the cheapest ($299 retail).

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
MAHC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was looking at trying the EVGA but how does updating work with them?  I know Wyse requires a purchaced product to provide updates (last I checked) where for 10zig it is a free system to apply updates to them.

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

The updates are freely available from EVGA. In fact, you can apply the firmware directly from Teradici. Form my experience, the only difference is that the ones from Wyse, Dell, etc. included their logo in the firmware for the splash screen. We've just been using the latest firmware directly from Teradici's site with ours.

The updates can be pushed out with Teradici's PCoIP Management Console (free) or by logging in directly to each unit and uploading the firmware.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm actually experiencing the sound issue as well. You need to download the Teradici audio driver from their site.  Now the audio works sometimes, but most of the time it sounds horrible.

I've tested the Wyse RxL( the Linux based one), the P20 and now the evga PD02, which is awesome btw...

If anyone has an audio solution that would be very welcome.

0 Kudos
Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For analog support you need the Teradici audio driver installed as esnmb states

http://techsupport.teradici.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=15164&task=knowledge&questionID=421

This works great for us on the NC190 though occasionally the microphone does stop working within Skype (and maybe other apps but I know Skype for sure). You have to disconnect and reconnect for it to start working again.

@timgleed | VCAP5-DCA/DCD | VCAP4-DCA/DCD | VCP5 | VCP4 | VCP3 | VCP4-DT | VCA4-DT | VTSP4 | MCITP | PRINCE2 | ITIL | BSc Hons
0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

But I still get crap audio...  I opened a ticket with Teradici.  Hopefully they have an idea.

0 Kudos
jaksun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have done extensive tests with audio, not on thin clients but on zero clients featuring the Teradici 1100 cpu.

These tests are made for the single purpose of me wanting to support softphones in our current VDI deployment

Before view 4.6 and teradici fw 3.3.0 this was a dead end, usb bidirectional audio was not supported.

Now with the release of View 4.6 and Teradici FW 3.3.0(3.3.1) bidirectional usb audio works, tho it's not completly without problems.

Status with the teradici analogue driver:
The analogue driver for the teradici chipset works and has fairly good audio quality, tho the microphone cuts out randomly a few times a day.

Status with USB audio:
USB audio works and has great compatibility with alot of headset vendors, i've not managed to find one that does not work. Tho there are a few quality issues, for example if you open up a window, let's say microsoft outlook, and start dragging it around, you and the person on the other side of the phone will get alot of klicks and choppyness, the same thing happens if you scroll a very graphic intensive pdf document or you do something else that requires alot of attention from the cpu/storage. In win7 this is not a huge problem tho, it's totally manageable but it sure would be nice to get rid of this issue.

//Jakob

0 Kudos
biokovo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks.

I have no any experience with zero clients.

We have View 4.6, vSphere4 and HP thin clients.

What do I need to implement zero clients enviroment and can you please compare price with price of thin clients enviroments?

Which zero clients are good wtih View4.6?

0 Kudos
biokovo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you please tell me your opinion which zero clients are good and not to expensive?

Thanks

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

FYI, I heard back from Teradici regarding the audio issue.  They say there is a known issue with Windows 7 and they are working on it... I asked for an ETA, but have not heard back yet.

As far as the zero clients, I have tried the Wyse P20 and the eVGA PD02.  They both run the same firmware and pretty much the same hardware except the eVGA one is super small and $100 less...  I am going to be purchasing the PD02 for my users.

Also, you can use the Teradici Management Console to manage all the PCoIP zero clients..

0 Kudos
biokovo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks.

I am sorry I can't get you points, but if you have experience with these problematic I will open a new discusion about thin/zero client Smiley Happy

I am very interesting about this, and I think that experience and real word is the most important. We plan to buy thin/zero clients and I really wan't to be sure.

0 Kudos