VMware Horizon Community
van2010
Contributor
Contributor

Thin Client connection port should be RDP (3389) but it's showing NVCnet (3999) instead.

Currently POC VDI. We have a VMware ESX Linux hosts. I'm taking look at the traffic via netflow software. I know that thin client connection to the ESX server via RDP (port 3389). But I'm not seeing this RDP (3389) in my netflow reports. I'm seeing NVCnet port (3999). Can someone tell me why I'm not seeing port 3389 (RDP) and I see port 3999 instead. Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanDill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't know specific to VDI but I do know you can set the listening port for RDP to be whatever you want it to be...

if you google how to change it I'm sure you can find the info. Not required to be on port 3389 like you could say about any network connection technically, that's just the default.

0 Kudos
van2010
Contributor
Contributor

The default listening port on the VMWare ESX host is 3389. But I still do not see it in netflow. Do you know if the connection between the VMWare ESX host to a thin client be set some where else. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Moving post to the VMware View forum

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author on "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-Virtual-Infrastructure-Security/dp/0137158009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256146240&sr=1-1]”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Makes no sense unless the default port was changed. I suspect you get the wrong information from your Netflow reading.

The only way to make sure is to do a netstat on the endpoints too see what port the service is listening on.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos