VMware Horizon Community
pdarcysgi
Contributor
Contributor

Thin Client can only connect if I allow direct connections

Hi

I have got an HP T5145 Thin Client to test from a customer with VMware View. It has the latest VMware View client installed on it and I have enabled the client to connect to the VMware Broker. On boot the client uses the credential that I provided to it and logs in. I can see the pools that are available to me but I cannot connect to any of the pools. If I go into the configuration tab in View and set the option to allow direct connects and the try the client it works straight away??

Is it possible to use the thin client without the direct connection option? I would have thought it was?

Thanks

P

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi there,

I don't know this device, but is there a native VMware View Client installed? Is it the Linux version, or is it a own-developed client by HP?

Thanks,

Christoph

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I am pretty certain that this model only has an ICA and a RDP client installed. it uses a web interface to load the client. there for it will not do pass through only direct.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
pdarcysgi
Contributor
Contributor

The 5145 has the View 3.0 Client installed in it. It was available on a firmware download. The previous version had the VDM 2 client on it.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, when the View 3.0 client is installed, it is possible to use the SSL Tunneling mode. This is configured within the View Server settings.

Blog: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/dommermuth

0 Kudos
pdarcysgi
Contributor
Contributor

Yes but your allowing a direct connection doing it that way which means that you aren't going through the broker? You might as well have terminal services then?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you choose Driect Connection:

1.) The client talks to the server SSL/HTTPS when this is configured. Otherwise only HTTPS. The user enters his credentials and will be authenticated by the server.

2.) The server delivers the list of entitled desktops to the user

3.) in direct mode: the client uses a direct RDP connection to the agent (virtual desktop) the session is still controlled by the broker due to the server-agent connection. (The RDP traffic goes NOT through the broker)

In tunneled mode: everything between client/server is tunneled through HTTPS/SSL. The server talks RDP to the agent/virtual desktop

Christoph

0 Kudos