VMware Horizon Community
networkman
Contributor
Contributor

Thin Client Solutions

Currently we are looking into different thin client solutions instead of replacing our existing fat clients for new fat clients. We are looking at:

VMware View
Sun Sunray and SGN
Critrix
Ericom

We already use ESX for our servers so are familar with VMware technology. What would you recommend and why?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

VMware View of course .. Smiley Happy

VMware View is tightly integrated with VMware Virtual Infrastructure.

VMware View is an easy to use enterprise class VDI solution

VMware View offers storage reduction with View Composer (Up to 90% storage savings)

VMware View has a lot of built in security features such a: Security Server, Smart Card, RSA, Active Directory, SSL

Thanks,

Christoph

Blog: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/dommermuth

0 Kudos
Jesse1973
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Considering you're already familiar with ESX I'd go with the first.

VMWare View plugs into the ActiveDirectory easily (ADAM) so deployement and Domain membership is no issue. Distributing clients over multiple storage luns automaically, autocreation, autodeletion, full support of a host of thin clients.

Sun is a good alternative, especially if you plan to deploy some other clients than just XP or Vista (eg. linux). Disadvantages are however: difficulties you may experience when adding clients to Active Directory (I'm not entirely sure sun doesn't integrate ADAM, like View does,) and there's as far as I know no thin provisioning as there is with View. Of course, you could construct a way to snapshot your storage luns on which a few clients are provided and mount this snapshot as a lun attach it (scripted) to ESX and deploy the clients again. This way you would double your clients in a snap(shot). Apart from all the barriers you'd have to conquer using such constructions you'd need a storage subsystem that supports writeable snapshots...... stop me, I'm rambling.

CitriX is really not an option in my opinion.

kind regards and good luck choosing. Let us know what you chose?

Jesse

0 Kudos
Leostream
Contributor
Contributor

Also consider Leostream, depending on the complexity of your environment. Most thin client vendors include a native Leostream Client on their devices and, if not, you can easily install it.

Leostream is a VMware partner, and can help you get the most out of your VMware investment. For example, Leostream supports:

-- Integration with VMware ESX and vCenter, allowing you to use existing VMware templates for provisioning. (Note, there is currently no support for VMware Composer.)

-- Mixed deployments of Linux and Microsoft Windows operating systems on virtual machine.

-- A range of remote viewer protocols (RDP, RGS, Sun ALP, VNC, NoMachine NX, etc.)

-- A number of different directory services, such as Microsoft Active Directory, Novell eDirectory, or OpenLDAP. You can also authenticate users across a number of domains

-- An array of third-party SSL VPNs, such as Juniper Networks and Cisco

-- Smart card and biometric (fingerprint) authentication

-- Enterprise-level scalability and fail-over, via Connection Broker clusters

Leostream Connection Broker for VMware, Citrix XenServer, Citrix XenApp, Microsoft Hyper-V, and Blades. Leostream provides access control and management of virtual desktops, physical desktops, applications, and Terminal Server sessions hosted on virtual, physical, or blade servers. Independent, flexible, scalable Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) integration.

Leostream Connection Broker for VMware, Citrix XenServer, Citrix XenApp, Microsoft Hyper-V, and Blades. Leostream provides access control and management of virtual desktops, physical desktops, applications, and Terminal Server sessions hosted on virtual, physical, or blade servers. Independent, flexible, scalable Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) integration.
0 Kudos