VMware Horizon Community
daleallenc
Contributor
Contributor

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request

LogonUser FAILED, error=1311 (There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.)

That's the error message I'm seeing when trying to login a user from a trusted domain.

Our setup:

VMware View 3.0.1, ESX 3.5 U3, vCenter 2.5 U3, Connection broker, and Secure server, are installed in our production environment.

All entitled users in the local domain can login through the View Portal and access their VMs without issue.

MyCompany.com has two-way trusts with MyCompany.co.uk. Domain Users\MyCompany.co.uk have been added to the Administrators group on the guest machines.

The trusted domain name is enumerated in the drop-down menu of View Portal. The trusted domain namespace is enumerated in Entitlements and users can added from that trusted domain.

The Problem: The trusted domain users receive an "Authentication Failed" message, and the Events log generates the error above (among others).

Troubleshooting (so far): Using a test account in the trusted domain, I can login (RDP or console) to a guest machine without any problems, but not through View.

Now what?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
daleallenc
Contributor
Contributor

The problem it seems was the (non-) administration of our Active Directory domains. The system administrator at MyCompany.co.uk removed a (child) domain controller from service last year without properly removing the two-way trust, the child domain, or demoting the DC. We had to dig both the domain and the DC out of Active Directory - not an easy task after the fact.

I don't know why, but View, or maybe Active Directory, traversed the top-level domain without even looking in it for the user and went straight for the child domain. Strange.

Anyway, it works now.

0 Kudos