VMware Horizon Community
smaunsell
Contributor
Contributor

The display protocol for this desktop is currently blocked by a firewall

I have VMware View on a server within our DMZ. I have the app on an iPad2, I configure it to connect to the server and it connects and then lists the clients I can connect to. When I click the client it then prompts me for credentials which I enter and click 'Connect' but am then almost immediately given the error message

The display protocol for this desktop is currently blocked by a firewall. Please contact your system administrator. Please check it and try again.

Yes, because the server is in the DMZ and the user on the LAN there is a firewall between them but.........if I have a Windows laptop on the same VLAN as the iPad and use IE (instead of the iPad app) it works perfectly -  I get no errors and can log on to the desktop succesfully. This proves that there is no firewall issue.

I also have the same problem with the app on Android 2.2/3.3.

Anyone know why this happens ie what is the difference between using it via an app and IE?

FYI this is VMware View Connection Server 4.0.1.2029

0 Kudos
3 Replies
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The iPad Clint uses PCoIP. I suspect your firewall is blocking PCoIP.

Have a look at the steps here for setting up View to support PCoIP access both remotely and internally - http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-14974 This requires View 4.6 and newer.

Mark.

0 Kudos
smaunsell
Contributor
Contributor

It turns out this has nothing to do with firewalls. Although the error says that it is, my testing opened all ports and the same error still existed.

The minimum to run the iPad/Android View client is View Server 4.6 and we are only on 4.0.1. We are also on ESX 4.0U2 and vSphere 4.0.0. The minimum to run View 5.0 is ESX 4.0U3. So we are currently looking at upgrading to at least ESX 4.0U2 if not 5.0 and also upgrading to View Server 5.0 to allow these clients to work.

Once this has been installed and proven to work I will confirm.

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have a look at the steps here for setting up View to support PCoIP access both remotely and internally - http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-14974 This requires View 4.6 and newer.

That's correct. It needs 4.6. The requirement for at least View 4.6 Connection Server/Security Server is also stated in this referenced document.

Glad you've sorted it out.

Mark.

0 Kudos