VMware Horizon Community
vmware-jackhuan
Contributor
Contributor

The desktop has failed to open

when using VMware VDM Client to connect My ready Desktop.poopup "the desktop has failed to open,this desktop is curretly not available ,

Please rty conecting to this desktiop again later.or contact you system administrator"

But Log off the ready Desktop for several times using vmware client, connect my ready Desktop successfully,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
markvr80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm suddenly having the exact same problem with all my virtual desktops, trying to connect from the windows VDM client. Have tried rebooting the desktops and VDM server and still get the error "This desktop failed to open".

Was working fine last week, which is the last time these were used. We're curently in a trial, so this isn't critical yet, but this could be devastating in production with 100s of desktops...

There is nothing significant in the Event Logs on the server or client.

Could a Windows Update have broken something?

markvr80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is sorted now. I was using individual desktops and for some reason, the VDM server had lost all the desktop->VM mappings.

Because we only have a few at the moment I could manually recreate them all, but I'm concerned why this happend. If it was to happen in production it could be critical.

Has anyone seen this before?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

This is sorted now. I was using individual desktops and for some reason, the VDM server had lost all the desktop->VM mappings.

Because we only have a few at the moment I could manually recreate them all, but I'm concerned why this happend. If it was to happen in production it could be critical.

Has anyone seen this before?

I have actually experienced this as well and with the help of VMware support we are able to conclude that removing and adding back the ESX host the VMs are running on from Virtual Center would cause the mappings in VDM to disappear. I was using version 2.0 at the time we experienced the issue.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
markvr80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Didn't do anything like that, the only change I'd made recently was re-enabling SSL in VDM after disabling it to troubleshoot something else.

Came in this morning to find that no one could log onto their desktops...strange.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

In my findings and in my opinion, this problem is a known issue. Something with the VDM agent service not fully running. The agent waits on some other Microsoft services to start, but I have been unable to find out which ones. The agent appears to be running, but yet it won't except a connect.

I am pretty confident that if you reboot the VM in question, you will then be able to connect to it.

Through our testing, we have added a final run once commmand at the end of the customization specs to do a final reboot. That seemed to have resolved the issue.

0 Kudos