VMware Horizon Community
LJMCP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The application is missing on all RDS hosts

Horizon 7.1, App Volumes 2.13.1, RDS Windows Server 2012 R2

I have multiple RDS Farms in View Pod, some of which are showing status of various applications "The application is missing on all RDS hosts".  Applications are provisioned using App Volumes, computer-based assignments.  Although View Admin shows the applications as missing, I am able to launch them.

Of 7 RDS farms, currently 4 having the issue.  When running a Application Pool discovery, only a subset of applications are discovered.

If I manually add the application on a Farm/RDS hosts having the issue, pointing directly to the .exe, it is added successfully to View.  So seems View is having problems reading information on the shortcuts/.lnks when searching C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\.

In RDS View Agent log, I see this for example -

2018-03-07T07:19:13.593-07:00 INFO  (02D0-1AE0) <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [ws_applaunchmgr] Scanning "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs", depth = 1

2018-03-07T07:19:13.593-07:00 INFO  (02D0-1AE0) <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [ws_applaunchmgr] Creating Shortcut from "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Access 2016.lnk"

2018-03-07T07:19:13.593-07:00 INFO  (02D0-1AE0) <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [ws_applaunchmgr] Resolving shortcut "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Access 2016.lnk"

2018-03-07T07:19:13.593-07:00 WARN  (02D0-1AE0) <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [ws_applaunchmgr] "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Access 2016.lnk": target unresolvable

2018-03-07T07:19:13.593-07:00 INFO  (02D0-1AE0) <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [ws_applaunchmgr] "Access 2016.lnk": invalid Application

The shortcut points to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\MSACCESS.EXE", which is valid.  I can run the .exe successfully.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lyle

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LJMCP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Changing the Horizon View Agent service on RDS hosts to "Allow service to interact with desktop", restarting the service, resolved the issue for me.  After disabling this option and restarting service, automatic application discovery is still working.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I just want to add that I'm also seeing the same problem. I upgraded my rdsh servers with Windows updates as well as the latest agents and I started to have the same problem. For me, it seems to occur when I reboot a rdsh or take it offline. The only way for me to fix the issue is to remove the RDSH from the farm and re-add it. After I do that, everything works fine. Give that I did an agent update at the same time as a Windows Update, I'm not which one is causing the problem.  Based on your info, we are running the same OS version and App Volume agent. I'm curious if its App Volumes causing the issue.

0 Kudos
LJMCP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for confirming I'm not insane!  haha

I put your theory to the test by removing one of the problem RDS hosts from the farm, then re-adding.  After 5-10 minutes, I do see health status looking much better in View Admin.

pastedImage_1.png

However, Application Pool discovery still fails to return a full list of apps available on the RDS host.

In the farm where I removed/re-added the RDS host, all App Volumes apps still show Unavailable.  But all AV appstacks in other farms are now showing Available (even though they are from same appstacks).

pastedImage_2.png

I did try upgrading View Agent on RDS host to 7.4, but that did not resolve.  I am also running a hotfixed version of Horizon 7.1 Connection Servers (Build 5950236).   I have another View Pod, with same Connection Server version, App Volumes Agent, Horizon Agent on RDS hosts that is not yet showing this issue.  I have not restarted any RDS hosts in that Pod recently.

Did you try removing Windows Updates? You applied Feb 2018 Microsoft updates to RDS hosts?

I do not see anything in 7.2/7.3/7.4 Release Notes related to this issue.

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm on version 7.4 and am seeing the issue. I haven't removed the Windows Updates yet to see if that helps. I just had the issue. I rebooted the server then remove/re-added it back into the farm and it fixes my issue. My next steps if it continues would be a downgrade of app volumes agent to 2.12

sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Check HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\svservice\Parameters and make sure a Manager1 value is showing up if your missing all appvolumes attach appstacks. Something in Horizon 7.4 appvolumes 2.12 or 2.13 is causing that to be removed for some reason. For the time being I'm running a logon script on startup to replace that value. Its something I think is suppsoed to be fixed in 2.14

Look at

App Volumes 2.13.1 Manager1 registry entry missing

if you haven't seen it.

LJMCP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info.  My issue is not that appstacks do not attach to the RDS hosts, but that Horizon View is not able to 'scan' them (only returns a partial list of available apps when adding application pools).

I can RDP to the server and run any of the applications in the appstacks, but View reports that applications that were previously added are not available.  This is happening on half the RDS hosts in the pod.

If I remove a problematic RDS host from the farm and then re-add, this clears the errors status in View Admin for a short time, but I still cannot successfully run the automatic app pool discover.

0 Kudos
LJMCP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Were you able to figure out root cause?  I'm am still having issue on half my RDSH farm hosts.  Did downgrade to App Volumes Agent 2.12 help?

0 Kudos
LJMCP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Changing the Horizon View Agent service on RDS hosts to "Allow service to interact with desktop", restarting the service, resolved the issue for me.  After disabling this option and restarting service, automatic application discovery is still working.

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Upgrading app volumes to 2.13.3 solved the issue for me.

0 Kudos