VMware Horizon Community
btrabue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sysprep not working on Windows 7 VM when setting up pool

I have a Windows 7 pool that I have created.  I went through and disabled all of the services and other tweaks per the Windows Optizimation Guide located here.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=windows%207%20deployment%20vmware&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDMQFj...

When I create a new pool sysprep will create the name of the VM into AD but sysprep will never change the name of the VM nor will it add it to the domain.   I have tried quick prep and it does work but I need to use sysprep so that a new SID is creted everytime we recompose.

Does any one have any idea what could be the problem?  These pools are being created from a brand new template that I created because the last template that I had was doing the same thing.  I though that by creating a new template that the problem would go away but it seemed to follow.  Some other Windows 7 templates that we have will add to the domain as they should when creating a new pool.  I have confirmed that the administrator password and the account that adds the VM to the domain is correct in the customization wizard in VIEW.

Any help will be very appreciated.  Thank you

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

This thread has been moved over to the VMware View forum.     I guess it's a good thing that you have other Windows 7 templates that work correctly.  It at least gives us something to compare against.    For the ones that work correctly are they usign the same vCenter as the one that is failing?    Are they both at the same OS and SP level?    What is the difference in the two?

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

For sysprep provisioning, you must be selecting an Custom Spec which is defined in Virtual Center.

No edit theat custom spec, and in that the NetBIOS name configuration choose "Use Virtual Machine Name"

CustomSpec.png

0 Kudos