VMware Horizon Community
jondercik2
Contributor
Contributor

Sysprep never runs when an automated desktop is deployed

Hello all,

I am testing VMware view in the lab before considering a deployment but I am having trouble getting sysprep to run. The VM I am trying to automatically deploy is a Windows XP SP3, fully patched image. When I deploy this image through virtual center it deploys fine, but when deployed through View Administrator, sysprep never runs. I have seen other posts that state that SEP11 can cause this problem so I deployed this image that does not have it installed. I also saw the other post that said to make sure that %systemroot%\system32\wbem is in the path, I checked that and it is. Also, there is no log for vmware customization at all. Inside View Administrator the state of the virtual machine is stuck at customizing as well.

Any suggestions,

Jim

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Erik_Bussink
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm going to validate this issue right now, as I've installed SEP 11.0.4000 last night in my WinXP SP3 Master template, and new desktop deployement are giving me problems (the VM keep their name, and don't register themself in my AD)

Update: I've now removed the Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.4000.MR4 from my WinXP Pro SP3 Master template, and the machines go thru the sysprep process again.

Message was edited by: Erik Bussink

Erik Bussink Solution Architect @VMware CISSP, VCP#67, RHCE, DCUCD
0 Kudos
R0v3r
Contributor
Contributor

Ran into the same problem with SEP. Thanks for the post. Symanjunk.

0 Kudos
mikedgibson
Contributor
Contributor

I believe the reason for this is probably because the firewall component is done through a NDIS IM (intermediate) driver. I am having the same issue with another product that contains an NDIS IM driver. However, I am unsure at this time of any workaround/solution. Hopefully now that I have narrowed it down to the NDIS IM driver someone can find a solution.

0 Kudos
CoyoteWildfire
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is somewhat of an old thread, but the IT department here is also running into the same issue and I have not been able to find anything online that's related.

We're using Symantec Endpoint Protection here as well.  When trying to clone a template from vSphere, sysprep runs fine when SEP is not installed.  However, if we try to clone from a template with SEP installed, Sysprep doesn't run.  Apparently this requires the department to either run the changes manually after the cloned machine powers on, or (which is what we're doing now) deploy a clone from a template without SEP and installing it after the fact.  This isn't exactly ideal, and though the installation process isn't that bad, there's the updating and initialization and rebooting and scanning processes thereafter that take up more time than we'd like.

Has there been any fix or any means in which we can get a clone to deploy and sysprep properly without having to do it apart from SEP?

0 Kudos