VMware Horizon Community
alexherrera
Contributor
Contributor

Sysprep and Customization Wizard

Hi:

I've downloaded and installed an evulation copy of VMWare View. The installation went fine and everything seems to be working. The problem that I'm running into is that I can't get my vitual machines (automated deploypment pool - non link cloned) to pick up the customization wizard settings that I created in virtual center. I created my master vm, powered off and converted it into a template, then I created a file with Customization Wizard then used them both to try to deploy 3 virtual machines. The virtual machines get created and see them going through the sysprep process, they reboot and get stuck waiting for me to enter the XP code. Also none of the other settings on the customization wizard file get applied. I've tried re-creating the customization wizard answer file and it still doesn't work. Any help will be appreciated. I'm running

ESX Server 3.5.0 build - 158874

Virtual Center 2.5.0 build - 147633

VMWare View 3.0.1 build - 142034

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jbruelasdgo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I had the same issue (the VMs got stuck waiting for the XP code)

it got solved typing a volume license in the customization specification for XP

regards

Jose

Jose B Ruelas http://aservir.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
alexherrera
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jose:

I'm also using a volume license code Smiley Sad Did you sysprep your VM before converting it to a template ? I didn't but I'm not sure if I'm suppose to do it or not.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

go back through your customization specs and ensure there is not typo in the ELA key you provided. If you didn't sysprep your machine prior to deployment, all the information would be pulled from your customization specs you provide.

0 Kudos
alexherrera
Contributor
Contributor

Dumb question but did you enter you CD code with or without hypens? I've tried both ways and still no luck.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

no hyphens. Did you save the customization spec? If so, go back throuh and edit it. Maybe there is a space at the end of the key, or something weird.

0 Kudos
alexherrera
Contributor
Contributor

Guys:

I ended up deleting all the customization wizard file that I had created before. Re-creating them and it finally worked, thanks for all the input.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

please consider awarding points by marking answers as "correct" or "helpful"

0 Kudos
artsinger
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Guys: I thought I would add my findings. I am using a xpprosp3 template. I'm running VCenter 4.0. For one, yes, the documentation was incorrect and thanks to all of you, I placed the sysprep files, after insuring I had the correct version, in the correct path. VCenter then recognized the customization tools.

After that, the image would come up but would hang and prompt for the OS license key. If I then added the license key manually, all of the other settings from the customization would take affect.

To get it to work, I had to add the license key using all upper case letters and the hyphens.

Thanks

0 Kudos
cpacholke
Contributor
Contributor

One other thing to check on (that we ran into) is if you have any type of management software installed on your image like Altiris or SMS it will interfere with the sysprep process halting at exactly where you stated. I had an open case with support for over a month before we finally figured out the Deployment Agent was stopping the customization wizard from completeding successfully.

0 Kudos