VMware Horizon Community
tonstad
Contributor
Contributor

Symantec SEP and guest customization

Hi all,

As several other people has documentet in this forum, Symantec End Point Security (SEP) blocks the built in guest customization / sysprep routine when deploying vm´s. Running sysprep manually in the VM with SEP installed or removing SEP are both viable workarounds. However, I want to keep SEP in the image and use the built in guest customization.

Has anyone worked out this problem?

If not, can anyone shed some light on the processes used by the VMware guest customization that might explain why SEP are blocking it?

Any help appreciated,

Asbjorn

0 Kudos
5 Replies
tonstad
Contributor
Contributor

Update; Removing all other features but the antivirus module form SEP works. I will investigate further.

0 Kudos
coneil0163
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem with VDI and guest customization. the machines created from the new template with Symantec SEP installed do not connect to the network the NIC in the guest show cable disconnected.

Anybody have a good work around? I realy need an automated solution.

0 Kudos
tonstad
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I´ve ended up with installing SEP with only the antivirus and antispam components in the template. This makes the guest customization work.

I have not spent the time to see which of the components (firewall, application and device control etc) that breaks the guest customization.

Regards,

Asbjorn

0 Kudos
coneil0163
Contributor
Contributor

for me it was the end point protection product. (firewall ? ) that was causing the issue. I created an SEP package with out the endpoint protection and it is working fine now. I am tempted to have the SEP product install the endpoint protection after the fact. but I am not ready to break all of the current deployed desktops.

Chris

0 Kudos
mikedgibson
Contributor
Contributor

I have noticed this with other software as well and my hunch is that it is the NDIS IM driver that is included in these products that is preventing sysprep from working. Can anyone else confirm this and/or recommend a solution?

0 Kudos