VMware Horizon Community
JohnnyBravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sun + VDI

The company where I work is looking at implementing a VDI solution for a client using Sun Rays. The client is currently running VI3 Enterprise. I have been looking into SUN VDI Connector and have also read up on a Virtual Desktop Access Kit produced by Sun, are these the same thing or if not can somebody please explain the differences.

I am getting a but confused as to what is actually required and was hoping someone could clarify it for me. After reading the Virtual Desktop Access Kit on Suns website I thought I understood bit know I see Sun VDI connector mentioned everywhere which costs $149 per concurrent user. Do I need to pay for any VMware VDI licenses?

Before reading about the VDI connector I understood it that I would need.

1. Sun Ray Clients

2. Solaris 10 (to act as the broker and host the sun ray server software)

3. Sun Ray Server Software (to request available Virtual Desktops from Virtual Centre)

4. VI3

5. VMware VDI licenses (Would like some information on how this is licensed also please - I have searched but have found contradicting answers)

But after reading about the VDI connector it would appear that I need to have a Sun VDI connector license and a VMware VDI licenses. Is this correct?

Any information would be really appreciated and I would also like to hear your opions on SUN VDI and whether anyone has actually implemented this?

Thanks in Advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The virtual desktop access kit was basicly a technology preview of software that integraded Sun Ray Server Software, Sun Secure Global Desktop and VMware ESX/Virtual Center. It was not sold or supported. It has been rolled into a packaged product now called Sun VDI Connector. Sun VDI Connector includes.

Sun Ray Server Software - Required for Sun Ray devices, accessing Terminal Services rather than VDI

Single Puropse version of Sun Secure Global Desktop Software - Required for PC's devices, non sun based thin clients and or accessing Terminal Services

Virtual Desktop Access Kit - The glue between Sun Ray Server Software, Sun Secure Global Desktop, VMware ESX / Virtual Center

For the case of using Sun Ray's to acces VMware VDI based deskops you would need......

1. Sun Ray clients

2. Solaris 10 - for Sun Ray Server Software

3. Sun VDI connector - Licensed per concurrent user, includes the Sun Ray Server Software

4. VI3

VMware VDI Licenses are a EULA contolled SKU that can be purchsed for running desktops only on ESX. Not needed if you already have VI3 and or do not want to be restricted to running only desktops on those ESX servers.

WP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The virtual desktop access kit was basicly a technology preview of software that integraded Sun Ray Server Software, Sun Secure Global Desktop and VMware ESX/Virtual Center. It was not sold or supported. It has been rolled into a packaged product now called Sun VDI Connector. Sun VDI Connector includes.

Sun Ray Server Software - Required for Sun Ray devices, accessing Terminal Services rather than VDI

Single Puropse version of Sun Secure Global Desktop Software - Required for PC's devices, non sun based thin clients and or accessing Terminal Services

Virtual Desktop Access Kit - The glue between Sun Ray Server Software, Sun Secure Global Desktop, VMware ESX / Virtual Center

For the case of using Sun Ray's to acces VMware VDI based deskops you would need......

1. Sun Ray clients

2. Solaris 10 - for Sun Ray Server Software

3. Sun VDI connector - Licensed per concurrent user, includes the Sun Ray Server Software

4. VI3

VMware VDI Licenses are a EULA contolled SKU that can be purchsed for running desktops only on ESX. Not needed if you already have VI3 and or do not want to be restricted to running only desktops on those ESX servers.

WP

0 Kudos
JohnnyBravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So the VDI connector uses the VDA client on the Sun Ray server and VDA service on VC to get connection to the VM?

Have you implemented this?, If so how did it go?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have not worked with it in over a year. I know some things have been added since.

WP

0 Kudos