VMware Horizon Community
ForemanNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Stuck on getting Windows 7 to clone

I haven't done any training for VMware, so please bear with me with stupid questions!

I've created a new Windows 7 computer with component settings from the VMWare View Optimisation Guide for Windows 7.  After a few initial problems getting the VMXNET3 adapter to work, I updated the computer via the E1000 adapter, then switched to the VMXNET3 adapter and removed the E1000.

After the usual multiple reboots getting Windows 7 updated, I joined the domain, rebooted, confirmed all was ok, shut down, and created a snapshot.

I started VMware View Administrator, created my pool, linked it to the latest snapshot of my Windows 7 computer, and provisioned a computer - the computer is copied, provisioned, but gets stuck on customizing.

When I look at the new computer, theres some strange things going on

It has a 20MB additional drive that is not in my Windows 7 source computer - this is labelled InternalDisk

The computer name is still the same as the source computer

The network card shows as VMXNET3 #2 on the new computer, with no other network cards showing, and consequently the IPv6 I disabled is now turned on as its a new NIC

The DHCP server shows no trace of the new computer name, but mearly multiple IP reservations for the source computers name

I have also confirmed that a KMS host was setup by my predesessor, but there doesn't seem to be any new activations from the new Windows 7 computers (currently at 3692 requests, 17 fails).  I first activated my Windows 7 with a MAK license then the KMS license it that makes a difference.

Windows Firewall is disabled on both the source computer and clone computer.

Windows XP provisioning works fine with 5 pools and over 80 XP guests in the same VMware View server

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ForemanNZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, so I started again, new install, followed the optimisation guide, still doing the same thing

Whats also interesting is the new name is in the OU with a creation date and time when the customizing starts, but the computer still shows the parents name

0 Kudos