VMware Horizon Community
eaphilipp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Stuck - Please help

Hello All,

I am building a test VDI enivronment. I think I have most of it right, but it is not working and I am stuck. Here is what I have so far. I have a 3 2003 sp2 boxes: 1 is the AD controller - 1 is the VirtualCenter Manager - 1 is the Connection server. I also have an esx box up and running and 2 VM's built on it. I can use the connection server to connect to esx and admin it just fine, that is how I built the test vm's. I also have a fine client in place. My question is: I have read the documentation that say connection to the connection server via https://(connectionservername) to finish the setup.How/where do I connect to it from? I can connect via both the thin client and the VC server, I am prompted to enter a user name and password that has admin rights on the domain and I do that. Then I get an error stating that the license key is invalid? This is all eval downloads from vmware, I have a key for virtual desk top manager??? I am really confused. Where/how do I enter a license key for the connection server? what am I missing? I feel that I am veryclose to getting this all to go... HELP me... I have attached the little visio doc I have created...Any help would be appreciated...

Cheers,

Eric

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are your users and or Groups in the same domain or a verified Trusting/ed domain?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

to get to the admin page of VDM, open a internet browser and point to https://fqdn/admin

By default, those who have local admin rights on the host system (W2K3 OS) will have admin rights in VDM. Once logged in, under the configuration button, there will be a place on the left to paste in the license key and add your VCMS instance in.

Hope this helps.

eaphilipp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, so I have done this and it worked. But now I can't get into the machine via browser at all? UGH!!! Any more thoughts. I even re-installed the connection server and gave it another go with the https://fqdn/admin and it will not connect. I can ping the machine, I can see it on the domain, the VM connection service is running...

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

so you have completed the setup and licensing of VDM? You are now trying to connect to a VM via the web? to connect via the web it's the same way, just remove the /admin

Did I understand your question?

0 Kudos
eaphilipp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think so. I did what you suggested with the /admin thing and it worked. I then logged out and tried to log in without the /admin and it did not work. So I thought maybe I did something wrong so I un-installed the connection server and re-installed it and tired to get back in with the /admin to enter the license code and it still doesn't work. I have no idea what I did wrong... Seems like I really close to getting this all to work, but there are just little things missing.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

so now that you have re-installed everything, all the proper services are started on on the HOST OS system for VDM?

0 Kudos
eaphilipp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware VDM connection server: STARTED

VMware VDMDS: STARTED

0 Kudos
eaphilipp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you know if there is a good manual or guide to getting this up and running, I am about ready to :_|

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

...and on the host in question you can go to https://localhost/admin

when you did the re-install, you kept the same host name and IP of the system? You can still telnet on 443 to the VDM server?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
eaphilipp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I cannot get to it from the host either... I type the ip address and the /admin in a browser and I get a page cannot be displayed error. On change to any networks settings..

I don't know how to do the telnet thing (sorry)

0 Kudos
eaphilipp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, so I think I got everything going. Now I am having trouble "entitling" a user to use the VM. I get to the entitlement page and I enter a username that I have created on my test domain and hit find now and nothing shows... Any thoughts? Everything else up to this point works like a champ.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you are trying to entitle a VM to a user, you have the user box checked before searching? Same thing for a group, the box must be checked.

Also, try putting in domain name\username or domain name\group

0 Kudos
buckethead
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

All the documentation that Troy mentioned is great and is a must read. It may also be a little late but the VDM Reviewers Guide is good as well as it is kind of like a 'Cliff Notes' version of the other documents.

eaphilipp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I have tried everything you have suggested and I am still not able to entitle any users. I have no idea what could be wrong, because everything seems like it should work. I am missing something and I just don't know what it is... Any more ideas?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok, I have tried everything you have suggested and I am still not able to entitle any users. I have no idea what could be wrong, because everything seems like it should work. I am missing something and I just don't know what it is... Any more ideas?

I think by now it's probably best to call open up an SR with VMware Support

0 Kudos
eaphilipp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

crud...

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are your users and or Groups in the same domain or a verified Trusting/ed domain?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
eaphilipp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured out what my problem was, I did not have the DNS information in the IP settings on the connection server... I knew it would be something stupid and something I did wrong...

Thanks for everyones help.:)

0 Kudos