VMware Horizon Community
Fpwr
Contributor
Contributor

Strip down Windows XP SP3 for View usage

Hi Guys,

One of our customer want to go with View but he didn't want to invest in Thinclient thing ... Indeed he already have all his PCs capable of running the View client ... I'm trying to figure out how to strip down at the maximun (only keeping TCPIP and USB redirection to let work properly View client). We want to use the Windows XP3 basic install for that purpose ...

The thing is that the customer want to have single sign one from these workstation as if the end user log on the virtual desktop directly !!

Is any one of you did it already ?

Thanks for your appreciated help

Regards

Julien

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Camek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have several labs running old PC's which we have converted into thinclients. We wrote a small application which keeps the wswc.exe running no mater what the user does. This application is then setup as shell so it's the only application running on these Windows 2000 boxes (could be XP as well but we had 2000 OEM licenses). We also have a few regestry entries made to keep students from using ctl-alt-del and other such keys to break the application. One of the other things which help us is within the wswc.exe program we pass in the name of the desktop pool the thinclient should use so students just logon to View and it pass in the AD info for logon to desk pool machine so the user has a single signon process. End result it works GREAT!!!!

jbruelasdgo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

a very good solution

you could also try this out (it actually does the same):

http://www.thinlaunch.com/

regards

Jose

Jose B Ruelas http://aservir.wordpress.com
Camek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why pay $20 per machine when you can do the same thing it does and even more for free....

0 Kudos
Fpwr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your answer, really appreciated ....

Camek,

I'm not really familliar with the desktop customization, is it possible to give me more details on what you did for your own case ?

Thanks again to you both

Regards

Julien

0 Kudos
b_shaw
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I'm asking everywhere people have previously discussed this...

Using the scripts (as described in http://blogs.vmware.com/view/2009/02/vmware-view-client-as-a-shell-for-xpe-and-xp-pro-clients.html) to change the shell works great except when it comes to USB redirection. It seems as though plugging in a USB drive doesn't do anything without explorer running. Has anyone found a way to keep wswc.exe as the shell and still have USB redirection work?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
b_shaw
Contributor
Contributor

Interestingly enough, I made another box following the same instructions but with Window 7 Starter edition instead of XP and it seems USB redirection works fine. MS must have changed the way USB (at least storage) devices are handled with regards to explorer running.

...If only we could legally get PCoIP and USB redirection through the Open Client for Linux.

0 Kudos