VMware Horizon Community
Najtsob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Strange error when customizing desktop (View 4.5)

Has anyone seen this error before ?

View_recompose_error.jpg

There are twenty deskops in the pool and all of them recompose/refresh just fine except for one. This one desktops allways hangs at customizing and if you open vsphere console you can see error posted above.

Any idea how to resolve this ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ElevenB2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, web interface.  Select "Persistent Disks" -> "Detached". You will see all of your detached persistent disks.  From here you can re-create the desktop that the disk was detached from or re-attach the disk to a different desktop.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You would think a recompose would rid a single VM of any errors.  Have you tried just deleting it out of View all together? 

0 Kudos
Najtsob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's a production desktop and I can't just delete it.

Till now it worked just fine, but today I updated my GI and recompose all desktops in the pool. All went smooth except for this one particular desktop.

Recomposing to older snapshoot doesn't help either.

0 Kudos
ElevenB2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you using persistent disks?

0 Kudos
Najtsob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes and there is 800MB free space.

0 Kudos
ElevenB2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Detach the disk and blow away the problem desktop, re-provision, then re-attach the user disk.  It's also possible that there is something on that persistent disk causing your problem since it's always the same desktop and the only constant when you fully recompose is the user data...

0 Kudos
Najtsob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

But what on the user disk could cause such problems ? And if there is something on the user disk, then deleting VM and keeping user disk won't help me.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It would help further the troubleshooting though.  

0 Kudos
ElevenB2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's possible that some part of the persistent app data is messing with the View Agent?  I don't know for sure; detaching the persistent disk would rule out a possible culprit and you could move onto the next step.

Najtsob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, I deleted the VM and choose to detah the persisant disk. Now I have to wait that view provisn new VM.

How can I then attach this existing disk to the VM ? Via vsphere ?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I believe there is an option to recreate the VM under the persistent disk and detached menu screen. 

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You will do the re-attach in the View management console.

0 Kudos
Najtsob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

By "View management console" you mean web interface or something else ?

0 Kudos
ElevenB2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, web interface.  Select "Persistent Disks" -> "Detached". You will see all of your detached persistent disks.  From here you can re-create the desktop that the disk was detached from or re-attach the disk to a different desktop.

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, I mean the web interface for View manager. https://your_connection_server/admin. Once logged in click the link that says :"Persistent Disks".

For more info see the help in View manager: http://pubs.vmware.com/view46/view_admin_help/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm

Najtsob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It works now.

Detaching disk and recreating a new desktop from it, solved my problem. Thank you very much, all of you.

0 Kudos
Najtsob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Recreating a VM from detached disk solved the poblem.

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Awesome to hear!

0 Kudos