VMware Horizon Community
LSchwingler3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Storing replica on local SSD

After reading through the View admin guide, I'm a little confused when it comes to using SSD's in view.  I am currently storing my view desktops on an IBM XIV shared datastore.  From what I've read, its ideal to put your replicas onto an SSD and then have your linked clones on your regular spinning disk.  After reading the view admin guide (page 91), is it possible to even store a replica on one datastore and your linked clones on another (mainly for a non persistent floating pool)?  My understanding is that you need to have a replica for your linked clones on each datastore your linked clones are on.

Thanks for any clarification!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes it's possible to stored the linked clone on SSD and the data on a sata datastore and etc. also please do take note that storing in local ssd means that the VM will be done when the host is not available.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes it's possible to stored the linked clone on SSD and the data on a sata datastore and etc. also please do take note that storing in local ssd means that the VM will be done when the host is not available.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In View 4.5 it is possible to have your replica on a different datastore than your clones.  The option is available on the datastore selection page.

kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, this is possible. During storage selection page of pool creation wizard, enable the option "Store Replica on a separate datastore". Once this option is checked, then the datastore selection dropdown list will have an additional entry named "replica disks". Choose a high perfomance disk (SSD) for replica and plan other disks (OS , Persistent Disks) according to your needs. In this configuration certain things to note that

1. You can select only one datastore for replica, where as multiple datastores can be selected for OS disks and persistetn Disks
  2. You can the choose a local SSD, if the ESX is not part of the cluster
  3. If you ar eplanning the pool on a cluster , then the SSD (and defenitely datastores for OS and Data too) datastore must be visible to all ESX in the cluster

Thanks

Siva