VMware Horizon Community
AUPhil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Storage design question - comments on expected performance?

Hello,

We have a need to stream ThinApp/App-V applications to VDI callers. We have an extremely fast Sun Unified Storage System (it's iSCSI) that functions well but is not happy with directly joining our domain. Our original design (and one reason for selecting this storage system) was that it could directly attach to the domain. Abandoning the direct-to-domain route still leaves RDM available (or direct iSCSI)

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to spin up a server VM and perform a raw device mapping from VM - ESX - Sun Storage Device? This VM would then act as a server handing out ThinApp/App-V shared cache treats to all of the non-presistent VDI callers.

Note that I asked if it would be "worthwhile" - by that, I mean fast enough to keep transient VDI users happy.

Can anyone comment on this arrangement? Would direct iSCSI addressing from the VM to the data store device be better/faster than using RDM ?

Thanks,

AUPhil

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

So the question is which is faster RDM vs iSCSI?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
AUPhil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In a way, yes.

I guess the question becomes "how much overhead penalty is paid for not mapping iSCSI targets as RDM" ?

Thanks,

Phil

0 Kudos