Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Storage Migration for VDI Pools

Hallo Team,

Hope you can help me this simple doubt.

I have new storage provisioned.

we have to migrate to new storage.

I've created a test pool.

My master and replica is out OLD_Datastore.

I'm following the article here. (VMware Knowledge Base )

What is unclear to me is do I have to select datastore even for Replica ?

2019-05-08 10_42_28-View Administrator.png

As we have more than three pools I would like to know if the others pools will be impacted as well?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mchadwick19
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If this is a completely new array, then yes, I would absolutely move your replicas over to the new storage. However if this is just an additional LUN/Volume, you should probably be adding this to your linked-clone storage.

After changing the storage you need to run the "Rebalance Storage" composer operation which is essentially a Recompose. Composer will build out the pool on the newly selected storage.

I'd like to add, if your new storage is All-Flash or a Hybrid array - you may have a better experience not separating your replicas from the linked-clones.

VDI Engineer VCP-DCV, VCP7-DTM, VCAP7-DTM Design

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mchadwick19
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If this is a completely new array, then yes, I would absolutely move your replicas over to the new storage. However if this is just an additional LUN/Volume, you should probably be adding this to your linked-clone storage.

After changing the storage you need to run the "Rebalance Storage" composer operation which is essentially a Recompose. Composer will build out the pool on the newly selected storage.

I'd like to add, if your new storage is All-Flash or a Hybrid array - you may have a better experience not separating your replicas from the linked-clones.

0 Kudos
lucasitteam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot. Are you saying recompose operation will rebuild VMs again? We have a little problem here.

when we recompose we might loose some settings because we have dedicated desktops

we have to have desktop because of Special printers connected to the desktops.

Can you please clarify if it really going to recompose?

0 Kudos
mchadwick19
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Is the only reason for dedicated desktops your printers? How are they "special"?

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Unless you are using persistent disks or a profile/setting management tool your users will lose any customizations.

If the only thing impacted is printers then there are ways to address that either natively with login scripts/GPO/print servers or with third-party tools like PrinterLogic. If more than that is impacted you need to invent in a profile/setting management tool.

lucasitteam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

They are special just because these are our customers connecting over internet and redirecting their printer over USB.

And USB keep enumerating as result printer name is changing.

Printer name must match including the caps with our internal app.

0 Kudos
lucasitteam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just for others, it is recompose operation.

So if you something persistent and not part of master image you will loose all this data.

0 Kudos