VMware Horizon Community
ekrejci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Storage DRS Interoperability with VMware View

Hi,

a tiny question about vSphere 5.1 Storage DRS (2.0) Interoperability with VMware View 5.1

is this compatible? I'm not able to find a precise statement about it.

I read info about support for Linked clones (from vCloud Director). View is using linked clones…

Thank you in advance for your help

Eric

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

In speaking Pre 5.1, because I haven't seen any information to say otherwise, it has always been best practice to utilize the View rebalance command to move linkd clone disk around.   The only time storage vMotion was used was when dealing with the full desktops.     If you find anything that says otherwise please sure as it would be great information to have. 

ekrejci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I've the same info than you so far.

let's see what comes from this thread. I've also twitted some vGURUs with this question.

If I have some info, Be guaranteed I will share them.

Eric

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

SDRS is not supported with Linked Clones with vSphere 5.1 and View 5.1.x

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
ekrejci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Joel,

it is what I thought. thank you.

do you know where I could find this information on the VMware documentation?

thank you

Eric

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, here:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102875...

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
ekrejci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

mmh indeed it is mentioned in the KB:

Warning: Do not use Storage vMotion to move Linked Clone Pool desktops. Use of Storage vMotion is not supported for this type of Virtual Machines.

but it is also for the version of View up to 5.0.x.

I will as VMware directly if this also stands for 5.1.2.

my guess is that it is the same than for 5.0

I will tell you.

Eric

0 Kudos