VMware Horizon Community
wgvmuser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Specifying which desktop is assigned to a user

I currently have a persistant pool of 20 Vista training desktops. We use the Wyse S10 to connect to the View Connection Manager with the Single Sign On option. The Connection Manager will assign the next available desktop to the student that is logging in. Is there a way to configure the desktop pool so that Student01 is given Desktop01?

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if using a persistent pool, when a user is assigned a VM in the pool, the VM becomes "stuck" to the user who connected to it. So, in that sense yes. The initial creation of the pool is kind of random, but once a user connects to a VM it becomes theirs.

Now, in a non-persistent pool the issue of whatever VM is available is what you will get applies. So, there is no guarantee each user will get the same VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
The_Reckoning55
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I dont believe so. The reason you set up a pool is to have machines available when a user needs one. If you want to do this, why not just create seperate VMs for each of these? Are you using Linked Clones?

**Remember to award points if you found this post helpful

DJ Gillit

Network Engineer

CoNetrix, Inc

www.conetrix.com

**Remember to award points if you found this post helpful DJ Gillit, VSP, VTSP Systems Integration and Special Projects localLINUX, Inc www.locallinux.com
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if using a persistent pool, when a user is assigned a VM in the pool, the VM becomes "stuck" to the user who connected to it. So, in that sense yes. The initial creation of the pool is kind of random, but once a user connects to a VM it becomes theirs.

Now, in a non-persistent pool the issue of whatever VM is available is what you will get applies. So, there is no guarantee each user will get the same VM.

0 Kudos
The_Reckoning55
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok. Just to make sure I am clear, is there a specific way to make student01 match with vm01 first time around? I know that once a user is logged in, it becomes locked just for them, but how do you ensure that the right user connects to the right machine? or is it just random?

**Remember to award points if you found this post helpful

DJ Gillit

Network Engineer

CoNetrix, Inc

www.conetrix.com

**Remember to award points if you found this post helpful DJ Gillit, VSP, VTSP Systems Integration and Special Projects localLINUX, Inc www.locallinux.com
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you are correct, it's random at first. The only way I know to guarentee a user a specific VM, without non-suppported scripting methods, is to create an indvidual pool and entitle user1 to vm1.

0 Kudos
wgvmuser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks all for the input. I pretty much thought that was the case. It's not really a big issue. I felt it would be more organized to have user01 on term01 assigned to desktop01. I can live with the initial random assignments though.

Dave

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Depending on the amount of uses you need to setup this way you could create a pool with one desktop and then login the first user, create another desktop and login as the second user, and so forth. It would be very time consuming and of course would be ruined the first time you had to delete one of the desktops but it's an option if you wanted it that bad.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos