VMware Horizon Community
vjimrski
Contributor
Contributor

Specifying a specific Ad OU using Sysprep

We are using View 4.6.1 with Windows 7 and I have a question.  What is the best way, or the best way you have found, using sysprep to put linked clones in a specific Active Directory OU?

TIA,

Jim

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I don't really use sysprep that often but found this in a search, http://blog.remyservices.net/2008/01/24/sysprep-in-depth-part-5-addition-1-customizing-sysprepinf/.    Hopefully it will provide you with the answer your looking for.   

0 Kudos
vjimrski
Contributor
Contributor

I also saw that post and it looked helpfull.  I was not able to find the sysprep.ini file created and then used by vCenter/View when creating the desktops.  Do you know where it is?

TIA,

JIm

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

View uses the Customizaton Specifications Manager, located in vCenter, for it's  Sysprep information.   If I'm not mistaken you could create a new inf file and then import into the Customization Specifications Manager.   This would allow you to select it for your View desktops. 

0 Kudos
vjimrski
Contributor
Contributor

I am with you brother.  I have the customization script working perfectly except for the OU issue.  I would like to modify the existing one so I dont have to start from scratch if possible.  But I cannot find it.

TIA,

Jim

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

From the customization specifications manager tab you can right click a spec and export it.   You could export it, attempt to modify it to include the OU code, and then import it back in. 

0 Kudos
vjimrski
Contributor
Contributor

I am with you brother.  I have the customization script working perfectly except for the OU issue.  I would like to modify the existing one so I dont have to start from scratch if possible.  I did export it and was able to see the join domain section however, The vakues that are needed appear to be very different fram the standard sysprep.inf file.  I guess I need the VMware specific format.  Question is, will it allow the selection of a specific OU?

TIA,

Jim

0 Kudos
vjimrski
Contributor
Contributor

So it looks like I can create a powershell script, since netdom is not available in windows 7, to add the system to the domain and specify the domain.  Question is do I thne not use the "join domain" feature in the sysprep setup?

TIA,

Jim

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If your going to use other means to join the domain then I don't see it as necassary to do it in the customization spec.     If this is a linked clone pool have you considered using Quick Prep?   It is much faster than Sysprep and can move your server to whatever OU you want.

0 Kudos