VMware Horizon Community
rcx_fr
Contributor
Contributor

Sotfware PCOIP to Hardware PCOIP VERY slow

Hello,

We are building a POC to test view and trying to find a replacement for RGS.

We are suffering very very bad performance between the Software PCOIP client (view 4.5) and the Hardware PCOIP card (ATI RG220).

Everything is up to date and when we use a Dell FX100 terminal, everything is working as expected.

We have no bandwith trouble since we are on a full gigabit network (on the same switch).

Any idea ?

Regards,

Ronald

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
rpook
Contributor
Contributor

I was having a similar problem with my HP t5545 thin clients. Our benchmark was "can it run a YouTube Video?"...which it could not.

I'm assuming you are using a virtual computer in vSphere and taking snapshots of it, then building a pool.

We wound up having to edit our total video RAM in the settings of our template machine in vSphere.

By default the video RAM was set to 8. Changing it to 64 fixed all of our problems.

It was a simple fix, but it took a long time to figure it out.

0 Kudos
rcx_fr
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for your reply but we are trying to connect to a physical PCOIP card via the software client implemented by VMWare.

Best Regards,

Ronald

0 Kudos
PCoIPinsider
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Ronald,

Just a reminder that PCoIP Host Card <-> VMware View software client

compatibility is provided as an experimental release in V4.5 today and

there are various known issues.

That said, the baseline capabilities of your client are important - i.e.

PC client or high performance thin client recommended. Also, you might

experiment with SALSA encryption over AES.

Good luck

Ian

rcx_fr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Things are a bit better with modification on the encryption but still not usable :(.

The client is a laptop under W7 with a core i3 and 2GB.

I didn't find the known issue.

Best Regards,

Ronald

0 Kudos
rcx_fr
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

For information, a firmware update from teradici on the host card solved the issue.

Ronald

0 Kudos
SDO1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Ronald,
Im curious, how would you rate the performance? ( im building a poc on hp workstations with some nvidia card for a 3d setup)

And did you fine tune anything on the host?

Best Regards

0 Kudos
SDO1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Ian,

What you are suggesting is for VPN connections right? to compensate for the prob with encapsulating udp in tcp ?

Best regards

0 Kudos
rcx_fr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We are using the AMD FirePro RG220 with onboard PCOIP.

We have at least the same performance than before with RGS. We are on Lan.

Ronald

0 Kudos
NerfHerder
Contributor
Contributor

The View 4.5 and 4.6 installation guides state on page 19.

PCoIP is supported as the display protocol for View desktops with virtual machines and with physical
machines that contain Teradici host cards.

Do you have any publicly available documentation stating that "Host Card <-> VMware View software client

compatibility is provided as an experimental release in V4.5"?

Could someone from VMware clarify the position on support for PCoIP host hardware acceleration?

0 Kudos
adc_1997
Contributor
Contributor

What PCoIP host card can be used with HP Blade workstations? Quad screens possible?

0 Kudos
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

The PCoIP host card is designed for blade PCs, or a normal PC with a host card in it.  The host card requires a PCIe slot, I'm not sure if your HP blades have that.

I know that you can do Quad screens with two host cards in the same box.

Hope that helps.

-Gunnar

Gunnar Berger http://www.gunnarberger.com http://www.endusercomputing.com
0 Kudos
NerfHerder
Contributor
Contributor

Gunnar is correct.

ClearCube and Amulet Hotkey Blade PC solutions have custom PCoIP PCIe host cards built into their respective blade hardware.

HP Blade PCs use HP RGS (Remote Graphics Software) for the display protocol.

3rd party PCoIP host card(s) could be added to an HP xw460c blade solution with an expansion option, however this make the blade double width meaning you have to half the number of blades per enclosure.

Quad head display is possible with the newer HP ws460c G6 blade solutions with RGS and RDP, as in the newer G6 model can accommodate two NVidia PCIe mezzanine cards to be factory installed into a single half height blade solution.

As stated this solution would be available in RGS or RDP only (no PCoIP hardware acceleration)

There are also a number of limitations with RGS and VMware View in as much as:-

• Vista Desktops and therefore later versions namely Windows 7 are not supported
  • Multiple monitors are not supported

Also from my investigations into blade PCs with quad head PCoIP Zero clients, View is not able to broker these session.

To enable quad head displays on PCoIP zero clients and blades, additional silicon logic has been included in the client hardware to combine two Tera PCoIP chips. VMware View brokers are unable to interpret this combined logic from the client so hence cannot broker connections of more than two displays.

This limitation does not prevent the VMware View software PCoIP client from connecting to a quad head PCoIP blade to PC with two PCoIP host cards.

0 Kudos