VMware Horizon Community
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Some help on Microsoft NLB/View and some general questions surrounding it...

Hi there,

I would say I would modest knowledge of VDM, now View... and this week I've been putting together my first really serious configuration with load-balancers.

I should state I know some people will have some choice things to say about Microsoft NLB. But that's what I'm using... its for demonstration purposes only - not for production...

I'm VERY familiar with Citrix technologies how they relate to firewall configurations. So I won't describe myself as a newbie - but be gentle with me. Smiley Happy

Right with those caveats in mind here's my questions/problems...

1. Performance. MS NLB with 2xSecurity Servers with 2x Connection Servers. Is it known for being a bit slow? I don't think this a bandwidth issue. I connect via Citrix and it is much much quicker. I've even gone so far to configure just 1xSS and 1xCS and connect directly - which works much more efficently. Perhaps my problems is due to poor or broken NLB setup. I've got issues with it... Although I can type in the name of my NLB cluster and get a login prompt - the authentication always fails. "The View Connection Server authentication failed. A secure connection to the View Connection Server cannot be established."

2. Gateways. I found I could connect to the cluster internally - but not externally. I figured it was because hosting provider requires me to set a gateway to get out, and back into the location. I found i had to manually add their gateway address on each LAN connection of the 2x SS before I could even "ping" them from my home locations (I'm suprised that that ISPs and hosting providers still allow ICMP.... but there we are). We suprised I had to do this - and a gateway needs to be set - I assumed there be away of setting on in the NLB. But I haven't found it yet. Perhaps I should be using the route command in windows which would do the same thing??? I had to some monkeying about in the advanced TCP Properties of the SS and metrics to get this ping working....

3. I have a two node cluster - but I have never been able to get the second node to join the cluster. I've looked at the resulting IP configuration - and everything looks right - but it stubbornly won't join. I have a feeling I have the questions 1 & 2 is caused by 3, and my lack of knowledge around Microsoft NLB. Hence this forum post.

Let me summarize my configuation - and screen dump some error messages - perhaps that will help diagnose where I have screwed up....

It's multicast cluster - each SS only has one NIC. I'm not using IGMP because I understand that cause a lot network broadcast. I have very basic netgear switch with absolutely no fancy features (I'm wondering if that's the source of the problem too) its just gigabit switch - which doesn't even know what a VLAN is... The internal IP range is 192.168.2.x and the public internet range is 193.x.x.x. I'm just using 1 IP 193 address for the cluster (is that OK???). And I have rule that only has port range of 443. The error in the log has an ID of 0x800706ba. The friendly message says that the "Primary cluster IP address (193.x.x.x) not add to properties". Interestingly if I go to the afflicted node it is configured exactly the same as the one that successfully created the cluster. Reboots and restarts of the system don't seem to help.

I've correctly set a locked.properties file on both SS. An from the hosting providers network I client there can connect via the public IP (192.x.x.x). Of course he's not having to cross the router/gateway of the hosting provider. Before I blame them - I want to confirm my configurations works. I can connect to my citrix environment also on 443 - so I'm pretty sure its not a firewall problem. Everything is screaming out to me some kind of routing problem...

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Oh, and something I should have added - I want to use self-signed certs from an MS Root CA... not a clue how to do that with NLB in the way...

Can someone give me a 1,000 foot overview...

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
0 Kudos
dawho9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried to confirgure and build the NLB cluster from a third machine not included with the cluster? I had this exact error for the longest time on my View 3 NLB cluster and that solved the problem for me.

I'm about to go down the certificate stuff so I'll see if I can nail it, if I do I'll post the directions I did.

Richard

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks for the response...

I've been meaning to come back to this thread - because I've got it working...

The source of my problem I think was that I had not install the Reliable Multicast Protocol to each other NLB servers...

Also I found enabling IGMP on the multicast option of the cluster....

The thing that threw me - was I thought my switch would need to support mulitcasting for it to work, and that I would need a class 😧 address

Perhaps I've misunderstood the NLB requirements. WHen I've used multicasting before with media streaming and DHCP the scope has been in 224.x.x.x range. Weirdly, that IP range is not allowed in NLB???

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
0 Kudos
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm evaluating a two-note cluster on one machine, first with both on the same machine, and later with one on each machine. This document seems quite helpful, http://www.vmware.com/support/esx21/doc/esx21admin_cluster_loadbal_esx.html, but I haven't tried it. My question to you is, how well does it perform in a high-traffic environment, and how reliable is it?

0 Kudos