VMware Horizon Community
ddewire
Contributor
Contributor

Snapshot, recompose, and console issues when using vGPU

I have noticed while creating my master images that using the new vGPU feature in vSphere 6 causes some problems.

Normally if you have a snapshot on a VM, you can revert to the snapshot at any time regardless if the VM is powered on or off.  If the VM has the PCI device for the vGPU feature, this is no longer the case.  You will get an error message in the console stateing the operation is not allowed in the current state if the VM is powered on.  If you power off the VM you can then revert to the snapshot.

If you have a View Pool that is configured to use the vGPU, you can no longer do a View Recompose operation without first shutting all the machines down.  Even if you choose force logoff, the VMs will fail to shutdown and will fail to recompose.

Using vGPU also prevents you from working on the image via the vSphere console and web client console.  The mouse will not work properly.  When using vDGA Im told the console screen is blacked out by design however when using vGPU, its not blacked out, it just doesnt work right.  It seems as though we have 2 options when building or maintaining master images.  You either have to always use RDP to do anything instead of the console or you have to wait until the master image is completed before added the PCI device to the VM and or delete the PCI device from the master VM every time you need to do maintenance on the image.  I did open a ticket on this but Im being told it was not intended to work via the console.

0 Kudos
0 Replies