VMware Horizon Community
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Snapshot Question

I should know this but I'll ask anyway...

I have a View desktop base image with the Gold snap.  I created another snap with the updated View agent.  If I delete that latest snap, will all my changes be applied to the base image or to the Gold snap?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When you delete a snapshot, the changes will be committed into the parent disk/vmdk. In your case changes done after taking the second snapshot (your-000002.vmdk) will be committed to the snapshot-disk (your-000001.vmdk) of your Gold-Snap. This means there are no changes in your Gold Image (your.vmdk), because this is the vmdk from before you took the Gold-Snap.

Maybe a small picture will explain this better (not nice but maybe helpful Smiley Wink)

Gold-Image-and Snapshots.JPG

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When you delete a snapshot, the changes will be committed into the parent disk/vmdk. In your case changes done after taking the second snapshot (your-000002.vmdk) will be committed to the snapshot-disk (your-000001.vmdk) of your Gold-Snap. This means there are no changes in your Gold Image (your.vmdk), because this is the vmdk from before you took the Gold-Snap.

Maybe a small picture will explain this better (not nice but maybe helpful Smiley Wink)

Gold-Image-and Snapshots.JPG

André

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks.  I created a new snap of my gold to test the new view agent.  I created a new Pool using the base Gold image, but then selected the snapshot with my updates (new agent, windows updates, etc) but the new desktop has none of my changes. 

It doesn't use the new snap as a base?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You have to create a snapshot after the installation of any additional software and point to this snapshot in View. That should do the trick.

André

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

AHHHHHHH!!!  I will do that!

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Still didn't work.  Keep in mind that the base still doesn't have the new agent, just the latest snap of it.  Should this actually work?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What exactly did you do after you created the latest snapshot (after the new agent and updates have been installed)? Did you create a new pool, selecting this snapshot rather than the Gold snap or did you recompose the existing pool with the new snapshot configured?

André

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I created a new pool using base image with the old agent.  Then I seletected the new snap that has the latest agent.

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmmm, so my new test worked.  I guess I wasn't doing something correctly before...?

0 Kudos
DKatman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would venture a guess that you named the snapshot the same as the original snapshot. When you went to put it in play, you saw the same name as the base image and left it, so a new relica was never made. When you went through again and walked through the steps and set the snapshot, it created the new replica and did what you want.

Just my thought upon reading it.

Dave

0 Kudos