VMware Horizon Community
nnconcerts99
Contributor
Contributor

Smart Card or Certificate Authentication is Required

I have had Horizon client on this laptop and it has not been able to connect to the VDI server, the certificates are all valid. Everytime I start Horizon client, it gives me this message all the time, "Smart card or Certificate of Authentication is Required."
It does not prompt me for the Certificate to select. I have tried different versions of ActiveClient, but still does not prompt me for the Certificate, have tried working with various support groups, none of them have been able to provide an answer.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mchadwick19
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you're using smart cards, make sure it's inserted prior to selecting the server for a few seconds. If it attempts to read the cert store without the cert there it will fail. Your user certificates usage must enabled for Client Auth.

Also did you perform the steps to configure the connection server for certificate authentication? Instructions are here: Configure Smart Card Authentication on Horizon Connection Server

VDI Engineer VCP-DCV, VCP7-DTM, VCAP7-DTM Design
0 Kudos
jmoy
Contributor
Contributor

First I tried uninstalling and reinstalling VMware Horizon Client.  I also tried reinstalling the DoD Certificates from militarycac.com.  That did not resolve the smart card or certificate authentication is required error.  This is what did work:

1. Clicking on the VMware Horizon Client desktop icon

2. Click on the three lines (options menu) in the upper right corner

3. Uncheck Log in as current user

The error message did not appear after unchecking Log in as current user.  I was prompted to choose a cert and successfully logged into the server.

0 Kudos