VMware Horizon Community
bberdine
Contributor
Contributor

Slow speed to load View Client Desktop

I would like to get some feedback as to how long it takes to start a view session from login to working desktop. When logging into a VM that is powered off it can take more than 2 minutes to get to the desktop in our environment. If you log out of a session and then log back in the time is minimal.

We are using XP as the desktop. View 4.0 and the 4.0 View client with PCoIP. The VM startup is fast on the ESX server but the delay appears to be getting it to the client. No speed issues once the desktop loads.

Does this seem normal? Any ideas or suggestions?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

2 minutes is depending how fast your VM loads and etc. i'm getting somewhere there to. Why not just make your VM stay up 24/7 and that would improve user experience. instead of powering up when needed.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

bberdine
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the post...

Most of our VM users are occasional. My thought was to save server resources. Maybe your experience is that idle VMs don't tax the server that much?

Perhaps a better question is what is going on when a user logs in to the client? If you start the same VM on the server you get the desktop in the console in a matter of seconds. Why does logging in from the client take so much longer?

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

the starting of VM goes thru this process.

powering up virtual desktop

a normal boot up process

application in startup group start

vmware view agent initialize

vmware view agent probe back to view server that i'm alive.

Unless you're using VMware DPM to power off the host automatically else the server will be up and running consuming energy. Yes for my environment, idle VM is running almost very low resources.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
EdOB
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have a sense of what your Profile is doing? Profiles and policies from AD can also take some time if you have them or not.. In the case of profiles, if they are NOT present, that takes time if it is doing application init stuff, and if policies are present, and doing things, you could also be having conflicts there as well.. Computer policies of course would probably already be inforce, but user polices hit when you try and login.. You should be able to break down your "Ready" status.. IF power on is not the problem then I would be looking at your external like AD or profiles..

0 Kudos