VMware Horizon Community
Joxster
Contributor
Contributor

Slow PCoIP Performance

Hi there,

I have just switched over from RDP Protocol to PCoIP to test a few PC's that have two monitors of difference sizes, PCoIP works fine for the dual display but some users are reporting that they are having a slow down in responce when typing IE thare are typing away but the screen is like 1 - 2 seconds behind in responce, which even the users say it is ok to put up with but when they make a typo its a pain.

Now this is happening on the local LAN where pings are of course <1ms Is there a known problem with PCoIP in view version 4? Or can I change the B/W allication so allow more traffic? Whats the best way to see if this problem is coursed by packet loss?

Any info most welcome...

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

I would look to see that the PCIOP_SERVER process on the VM looks like. Is it consuming a ton of CPU cycles or RAM? Also, PCoIP is a UDP protocol, and as such I would ensure that there is nothing limiting the specified UDP traffic. Check network bandwidth on both the VM and the client, and see if there could possibly be QoS on the network that could effect this.

Also, I found with PCoIP it is hugely detrimental to use a single vCPU because the PCOIP_SERVER runs on the VM's vCPU, so if that vCPU is consumed with PCoIP then what's going to execute your programs? I personally am going to try setting CPU affinity values and doing some playing around with resources.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using thin client? If yes, which type?

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
Joxster
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not using a thin client at the moment just windows xp with vmware view client running on it....

The pcoip_server_win32.exe is using next to no cpu IE when I move the screen about making it do something it is using say 2 - 3% cpu and max 32mb of ram...

Just seems very slow to redaw like it loads a very low res image first then fills the rest in like the good old GIF days on the internet with modem dialup hmm them were the days lol

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

Sound slike the Progressive Build of the PCoIP stack, which you only usually see when network bandwidth is low or latency is high. I would double-check the networking between you and the PCoIP host.

0 Kudos