VMware Horizon Community
KenArcher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Slow DEM Folder Redirection

I recently ran into an issue where USB drives were not redirecting on initial connection and narrowed it down to slow logons and applied the workaround provided in VMware Knowledge Base. This resolved the USB redirection issue, but got me looking at why the logon was so slow. On average I'm seeing 120s logon time which is considerably higher than what I would expect and the longest segment of the logon process was DEM applying. The DEM logs indicate the slowdown is during the redirection process with 36s for each folder, accounting for 72s of the total logon duration.

2020-03-04 11:00:01.848 [INFO ] Applied Horizon Smart Policies settings:

2020-03-04 11:00:01.848 [INFO ]    Client drive redirection is disabled

2020-03-04 11:00:01.848 [INFO ]    Clipboard redirection is disabled

2020-03-04 11:00:01.848 [INFO ]    Web and Chrome file transfer is disabled

2020-03-04 11:00:37.670 [INFO ] Successfully redirected 'Desktop' folder to '\\SERVER\%username%\Desktop' ('Desktop.xml')

2020-03-04 11:01:13.335 [INFO ] Successfully redirected 'Documents' folder to '\\SERVER\%username%\Documents' ('Documents.xml')

I temporarily disabled redirection and saw a huge improvement in logon time. I then migrated the redirection from DEM to a group policy and the improved logon time continue. So at this point the only slow down is if I redirect via DEM, while other methods are much faster.

Has anyone ever seen this type of behavior or have any tips/tricks I could try to speed up redirection via DEM? I'm not super happy with the idea of using a group policy to redirect because DEM is supposed to be faster.

Tags (1)
22 Replies
KenArcher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, no it did not get resolved using DEM. We disabled the folder redirection there and resorted to a script at logon to redirect the documents and desktop. We plan on trying DEM again after some upgrades to Horizon and see if that helps.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Did you try GPO too and see if there is a difference?

0 Kudos
EricSturs
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I reverted to GPO for redirection, no issues.

0 Kudos