VMware Horizon Community
acnsys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sizing storage SAN and RAM

Hi,

I am planning to setup a VView infrstaructure in our existing VI environment. We currently run 21 ESX hosts and we plan to use 4 of this ESX hosts to run virtual desktops for a call center.

We would like to start with 140 thinclients (Wyse or SunRay) and i would like to start getting an idea of the minimum storage requirements i am going to need. I would use the linked clone technology.

My figure is really simple:

140 Vista workstations running only IE and office applications.

Our ESX hosts are HP blade Proliant BL460c with two quad core proc. 2.66Ghz, they currently have 16 GB RAM installed.

Is that realistic to plan a simple base requirements as follow:

RAM: 140 x 512 Mb of RAM: 70GB RAM spread on three ESX

SAN: 140 x 15 Gb = 2.1Tb

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
williambishop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Agreed!

Less Ram, less resources, less disk usage, better compatability....

We keep round 200 vm's per lun in our VDI, but it depends on how you have your storage set up, and the array itself (whether it's capable of it).

W

--"Non Temetis Messor."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
williambishop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

With Vista it is higher than XP(obviously), but 15 G is a bit high. And if you're using linked clones, only the initial one is 15 g, the rest are smaller deltas....Although you may want to split that into 2 or 3 golds that way if you lost one your entire environment wouldn't be lost...

Maybe 3x12 and 137x4 (surely they're not going to need more than that)

coming out to 584G necessary, plus 25% buffer maybe 750g? ....Unless I'm reading what you're asking for wrong that is. Keep in mind the spindles are still going to be working hard for linked clones, a raid 10 really helps here.

W

--"Non Temetis Messor."
randyf25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A couple of things: Running Vista with 512MB of RAM? I'm not sure I would recommend that especially when you start loading up Office applications inside there.

Second: Are you going to use persistent or non-persistent pools? If you use persistent are you going to allocate a user disk?

There are some best practices on what to do with linked clones to keep your disk usage down. I would have to hunt them down. Things like pagefiles, hibernation files (on by default in Vista), temp files, etc. will all bloat your delta disks to a point of reducing your savings on the linked clones. Because of page sharing your memory utilization per workstation will be less than the actual RAM allocated. If you keep all the desktops uniform the memory page sharing will reduce any duplicated memory pages so that multiple machines only use that single page. You will in essence be able to overcommit the physical RAM in the machine. So in your case with 16GB x 4 = 64GB of RAM, allocating the 70GB of RAM is not a problem. However, i would consider raising the RAM allocation per workstation to 1GB. Of course if the performance is there for you, great.

Is there any reason you are looking at running Vista in the VM environment? I find that XP is far more capable and certainly less resource intensive. We run XP with 10GB disks and have had no problems so far. Of course I have not yet scaled as high as 140 (still in wide testing).

One final note (sorry so scatterbrained, it's early), you may run into some performance issues with 140 machines on a single LUN. It all depends on your spindles, etc. Once again I would seek out the best practices information and see what is recommended there. A lot of this is testing to know if the performance takes a hit with that many VMs on a LUN. Every situation is different.

acnsys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Really helpful points thank you.

Actually we are planning to roll out Vista without particular reasons except that for now licensing seems more straightforward (VECD licenses are only available for Vista i believe)

to answer your first question I will use persistent mode with user disks.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I agree, XP is probably a better choice right now for VDI. You can allocate less RAM per VM, which will give you the ability for more consolidation. XP is easier to sysprep, requires smaller amounts of disk, and seems to be the preffered choice of desktop OS's.

just my two cents

0 Kudos
randyf25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

acnsys- you are not restricted to Vista with VECD

If you go to Microsoft's websitey ou will see that downgraded versions are available.

Your original plan did not account for user disks. You'll want to make sure you account for those in your storage utilization.

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Agreed!

Less Ram, less resources, less disk usage, better compatability....

We keep round 200 vm's per lun in our VDI, but it depends on how you have your storage set up, and the array itself (whether it's capable of it).

W

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos