VMware Horizon Community
mchadwick19
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Single user cannot log in with Smart Card

I'm running into the wildest issue I have ever found.

I have a single user that cannot log into a brand new 1803 image with their smart card, which is a policy requirement (can disable for testing purposes). All root/sub-CA certs are trusted, and the user can login with username/pwd through RDP and View, and can also use a virtual smart card or View from a separate device. Crazy thing is it's just this one user.

When the user logs in from a thin client, they log in just fine to the CS. But in Windows it goes to the "Welcome" screen and about 10-15 seconds later, they are at "Preparing Windows." It sits here for 20, 25, sometimes 30 MINUTES until the screen goes black and there is a "VMLM_Helper.exe" cmd Window showing up, and from here the user can open task manager and run explorer.exe for themselves and everything is fine. .

Some info - Win 10 1803 64-bit. 2vCPU, 8GB vRAM, 60GB disk. Currently testing with UEM, AppVolumes, and vGPU are all removed.

I've tried taking a procmon boot log + wireshark to try to see if it's network or a single process hanging this up but there is no smoking gun that I've uncovered thus far.

Any thoughts or direction?

VDI Engineer VCP-DCV, VCP7-DTM, VCAP7-DTM Design
0 Kudos
1 Reply
mchadwick19
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Not exactly sure what but seems to be the combination of Scanner Redirection and a Webcam or DVD-WR drive being plugged in caused the problem.

Unplugging the two devices seem to fix it. We are uninstalling scanner anyways since it doesn't exactly work how we need it to.

VDI Engineer VCP-DCV, VCP7-DTM, VCAP7-DTM Design
0 Kudos