sst0ffer
Contributor
Contributor

Silent Install Of View Agent - 4.5/4.6

Hi All,

I am trying to package up our View agent install and only want specific components installed/not installed. I don't want the Composer component but do want the PCoIP Smartcard component. The default agent install includes Composer and does not include PCoIP Smartcard.

The defaults for the rest are fine.

I have found articles explaining what the various MSI Properties are for the client. But not the agent. The article here explains the properties for the client. http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101986...

The command I use for the client is;

VMware-viewagent-4.6.0-366101.exe /s /v"qn qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress VDM_SERVER=view.server.com ADDLOCAL=ALL”

This works very well!

Does anybody out there know where I can find the various switches to install or not install certain components of the agent during my "silent" install?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

I know that ADDLOCAL=Core,SVIAgent,PCoIP are all valid options for components because they are listed in the http://www.vmware.com/pdf/view-46-installation.pdf document.

The best way to find out which components are valid for calling from the command line is to open the MSI with an MSI editor program like Microsofts ORCA or Wise Package Studio.

Regards,

Paul

sst0ffer
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Paul!

Though I didn't find all the features of the agent in the install guide, it did list a few in an example which got me closer. I wound up calling VMware tech support and the tech pointed me to page 51 of the View 4.6 Administration guide where it listed all the features of the agent, and, how to just install the components I want. I don't know why the info on the agent was in a different doc than the client. The features are listed on page 55. However, I found out from the support tech there were a few typos in the doc on this page. "VMVideo" should be "VmVideo" and "VMwAudio" should be "VmwVaudio". I also found out I needed to include these in my command string for the install. Good info!

So, to get the agent installed silently, with no reboot, all components installed except for Composer, my string is;

VMware-viewagent-4.6.x-xxxxxx.exe /s /v"/qn VDM_VC_MANAGED_AGENT=1 ADDLOCAL=Core,PcoIP,ThinPrint,USB,VmVideo,VmwVaudio,SmartCard,VMCI REBOOT=ReallySuppress"

--Steve

0 Kudos
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

Thank you Steve for uploading the results of your work. I'm sure that someone is going to find it quite handy at some point.

Cheers,

Paul

0 Kudos