VMware Horizon Community
Brucealeg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sharing info - dual display on Wyse V10L

I'm not sure if it was mentioned here or elsewhere, but Wyse have a small app you can load into your VM to do dual monitor.

The V10L, by default, will span the desktop and apps like IE will open accross both and look dumb. You install the tool on the VM and the taskbar still spans, but when you open apps they will only full screen on one monitor. It also seems to remember the last monitor it was on.

Small windows that would normally open in the crease area between monitor now center on one or the other monitor.

For us, this was a BIG deal since thin clients with Matrox cards are WAY over priced.

My apologies if this is common info now, but a few weeks ago I recall this being a serious issue for many.

Bruce

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mreferre
Champion
Champion

Bruce,

there have been lots of discussions about this Matrox setup in a separate thread. Good to know that Wyse is making available a similar software (which in the ends is the added value of the solution since splitting the video in 2 or 4 is relatively easy .... the complexity comes when you have to manage them as independent devices).

Matrox has a very powerful software to do this but as you mentioned it is "not cheap". Good to have a cheaper (perhaps less flexiblible) solution available.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The agent is called MHA whch we have been testing for the last 6 months. It is getting there and has come good smarts on it. It is also a positive that it is no longer dependant on the Wyse device at the other end (it uses Virtual Channels to the Wyse V10 a dn V50 to ascertain the number of connected screens. It now also makes a best guess at a 4:3 ratio basis if there is not a Wyse device at the other end.

Should also be noted that Neoware also ave an offering along the same lines.

0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert

I have a few users on trial with it, it mainly works well but has a few issues

system messages get spanned over the centre of the two screens

some apps get spanned over the two screens the first time they are lunched, if the are re sized to fit one screen the second time they are lunched the fill one screen correctly.

wallpaper spans over the centre of the screens, there seems no work arrond for this.

there seems some refesh problems, noticed with IE where the screen seems to go see through, this is an intermittent problem

0 Kudos
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Also seems to be a notable performance impact on window switching.

0 Kudos