VMware Horizon Community
flexmex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Share Data on several VMs

Hi

We are 5 employees and every one has his own desktop (vm). How we can share data like in Windows by a network drive (NTFS) ? Every one want just a P: Drive to share data.

What is a simple solution or the best solution, without buying additional software etc.

please advice

Config:

VDI Starter Kit 3 (VDM 2.1)

no SAN yet

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you create another VM for your file server? An easy way to do it would be create another VM, create the share, and then create a batch file in put it into each users startup to net use P:
server\share.

Or... are you in a domain? There are many way to do this. You could also create the share on one of the 5 systems, and have the users map back to the master PC.

It should be simple Windows file sharing, nothing to do with VDI or ESX.

my two cents.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you create another VM for your file server? An easy way to do it would be create another VM, create the share, and then create a batch file in put it into each users startup to net use P:
server\share.

Or... are you in a domain? There are many way to do this. You could also create the share on one of the 5 systems, and have the users map back to the master PC.

It should be simple Windows file sharing, nothing to do with VDI or ESX.

my two cents.

0 Kudos
flexmex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes we can create another vm.

so you mean just create a "master vm" (could be a Windows Server) that must always run for share the drive.

i think its a good way.

what do you mean about a domain solution ?

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you could always create a small Active Directory enviornment, with login scrips, but to get what you need quickly, a file server would be a good option.