VMware Horizon Community
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Setup Options

Have an issue that i'm not quite sure how to get by.  Here is my problem.

We have Folder redirection setup and has been for years in this environment.  Been using view but all wrong in my opinion but not sure how to get by it.  We currently have about 150 desktops but less that 60 concurrent users and are using View Composer instead of Linked Clones.  The reason we don't use LC's is because of the folder redirection and GPO's that get applied.  Because of those our login times are quite long (>60 sec).  I've tried different options (UEM, Master OPtimization, etc) with not much luck. The LC's we utilize take closer to 2 min to login since it has to create the profile each time.  APPDATA seems to be part of the issue as well since it's not recommended to redirect it.   If i was able to utilize LC's i can get my desktop count in half.  Is there a good way to utilize LC's while using folder redirection and roaming profiles??  Any help is appreciated.

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
1 Reply
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I know you did awhile ago, but have you tried

https://techzone.vmware.com/creating-optimized-windows-image-vmware-horizon-virtual-desktop#1150984

as a guide for making the template.

Depending on the profile and if we keep the app stack count down I can get get 30-50 seconds login times. The updated guide seemed to fix some of the issues I had, but even with this it took a very long time to get here. What I suggest is create an isolated test environment, or at least a test pool if you can. Have it point to a empty DEM folder, no gpos, no appstacks. Start by adding appstacks, but do one application one at a time, time the logon time after adding an application. Then do the same thing with DEM settings you apply, and any GPOS you need. Its too hard to try and filter through everything all at once, doing small incremental changes and evaluating the need for the application if the login increase was unavoidable is some things to consider. I haven't gotten to test writables again yet, but those from what I hear are huge increases to login times, I'm thinking of trying fslogix first honestly.

0 Kudos