VMware Horizon Community
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

Setting up Testing of VMware View

I have an ESX3.5/VirtualCenter2.5 Testlab.

I've downloaded the Trial of View and created a Connection Server VM. I understand from the documentation that I also need a VirtualCenter. Can I use my existing TestLab VirtualCenter ( I presume so but wanted to be safe and ask the question).

If I am able to use my existing VirtualCenter then the next step is to create these other servers (and, again I presume they can be VMs) but I wonder how many of them can coexist in the same server. Am looking for some good advice on how to setup my testing

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

When I performed my testing I used our existing lab VC server without any issues. I also ran the VC, Connection Broker, DC, and desktop VM's as virtual machines on the same physical server without any issues.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

cbieri
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

In case you want to test View Composer, which need to be installed first on the VC, pay attention that it need to be ESX3.5 U3 and VC2.5U3. The rest shouldn't be a problem at all.

Best regards, Christian

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

I read about Composer but not sure I will test that at this time.....do I need it? What is the real advantage?

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

"I also ran the VC, Connection Broker, DC, and desktop VM's as virtual machines on the same physical server without any issues. "

-

I presume your lab did not have a VirtualCenter already in it. And, from what you mentioned you then created a SINGLE VM with :

1. Connection Server

2. VirtualCenter

3. Connection Broker (didn't see this one on the list )

4. DC

5. Desktop VMs

===========================

Our Testlab is entirely Virtual so we already have VirtualCenter and 4 ESX Hosts and a Test DC. I presume that I can use my existing Testlab DC, ESX Hosts and VirtualCenter so then all I need is to create the View Administrator role in VC along with the Connection Server VM. At least, that's where I'm headed.

So, I guess the question is: do I need to create other servers separately as VMs or can they be instances in the Connection Server?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

My lab already had an existing VC and DC and I simply added the connection broker and the desktop VM's to the mix. I did not run them in a single machine but did run them all from one host.

To answer your question the advantages of View Composer, it allows you to save disk space by linking clones of a VM to a parent thus reducing the requires of disk space for all the VM's except the parent.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

Your setup is much like ours. I see everyone referring to "connection broker". I presume this is the same thing as Connection Server?

So, I'll use my existing VC, DC and I'll place my Connection Server/Broker and VMs on the same host , as you did.

I'll hold off on the Composer until my basic testing is completed but it does sound like something I'll need to test, too.

Thnks to all for you help. I'll continue reading the manual and complete my setup. Appreciate all your advice

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Good Luck and let us know if you run into any problems.

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

Will do

0 Kudos