VMware Horizon Community
trotasc
Contributor
Contributor

Setting the path to my new parent VM

Hi - I hope this is the correct board where I should post this. I am in need of some guidance.

I just created a new golden image on my main VM and  I need this VM to be my new parent VM so I can deploy it to my Dev pool to test and then I can  deploy to production. My question is how do I use the Horizon console to set the path to this VM? Once I can set the path to the new parent VM I can then delete all the previous snapshots.  i spent 2 days going through online docs but I cannot find the answer. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I recently assumed support for VMware system so I am not up to speed yet.

Thanks much!

Tom

parent vm question.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Depending on the version of Horizon, you need to either recompose the pool (older versions of Horizon - Linked clones) or Maintain the pool (newer versions of Horizon - Instant clone). Click on the pool to go inside it and choose recompose or Maintain and select the new VM and snapshot. 

-- If you find this reply helpful, please consider accepting it as a solution.
0 Kudos
trotasc
Contributor
Contributor

Hello popvm -

Thank you so much for your reply. I actually tried your suggestion first. When I select my pool then click Maintain (I'm running Horizon 7) I immediately get a red window that says "Could not find the current snapshot because it was modified or deleted. ". It lets me go through the push process and the progress bar gets to about 17% on the Summary screen then aborts with the message:

Publish Error: Fault type is AGENT_CUSTOMIZATION_FAULT - Internal template vm-28918 customization failed. Error description not set by agent."

Tom
Sr. End Point Engineer

0 Kudos
trotasc
Contributor
Contributor

By the way, I just opened up a case with VMware Support. As soon as we have corrected this problem I will post the solution here for others who may experience the same problem.

0 Kudos
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Since its a Dev pool, I would assume there are very few VMs. If so, you can duplicate the pool (which will create a new pool with same settings which can be modified on the go) or you can create a new pool altogether with the new snapshot rather than spending time to resolve this issue. 

-- If you find this reply helpful, please consider accepting it as a solution.
0 Kudos