VMware Horizon Community
ShaunDarkLord
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Setting "External URL" breaks internal access.....

Hi all

I had View working fine, and last night setup external access from home. I setup a security server, created the locked.properties file on the security server and added the security server's external url to the View Manager's "External URL" field. I could then connect from home.

However, when I got into work this morning I can no longer connect directly to the viewmanager server. The View Client generates the following error;

The View Connection Server authentication failed. Initialization failed while connecting to server '(nul)'.

If I remove the External URL field and restart the View Manager service, I can then connect internally, but am then unable to connect from home.

I assume it is possible to have a setup that allows both internal and external connections?

Thanks

Shaun

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Shaun,

The last posting in this thread Security Servers DMZ and Connection Server might be useful in explaining the communication path between vm's, security servers and connection servers.

I'm open to correction here but reading it would imply that security servers and connection servers are paired so that if you set up an external connection all connections from that connection server get routed through its security server whether they are inside or outside your network

I'm also open to correction in that vmware don't or at least didn't limit you to deploying a number of connection brokers when it came to their license agreements which might be a solution to your internal & external connection problem.

Don't have the pilot setup to test it out so take it all with a big pinch of salt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Shaun,

The last posting in this thread Security Servers DMZ and Connection Server might be useful in explaining the communication path between vm's, security servers and connection servers.

I'm open to correction here but reading it would imply that security servers and connection servers are paired so that if you set up an external connection all connections from that connection server get routed through its security server whether they are inside or outside your network

I'm also open to correction in that vmware don't or at least didn't limit you to deploying a number of connection brokers when it came to their license agreements which might be a solution to your internal & external connection problem.

Don't have the pilot setup to test it out so take it all with a big pinch of salt

0 Kudos
ShaunDarkLord
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info - I setup a second server, installed Connection server in "Replica" mode, and only applied the "External URL" to the new server. I changed the security server config files to point at the new server and it's working a treat.

Currently connected via PCoIP from my desktop and RDP over 3G from my iPad Smiley Happy

0 Kudos