VMware Horizon Community
sc84647
Contributor
Contributor

Setting preferred audio output device on Horizon Client

On VMware Horizon Client Is there a way to set the preferred speaker?  I see an option for preferred microphone and preferred webcam, seems odd there's no preferred speaker?

5 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The audio output device is set in the virtual desktop with the Horizon Agent. From there it will output to the default audio device on the endpoint with the Horizon Client.

sunbear
Contributor
Contributor

I have the following audio devices on my home desktop PC

1. A C725 USB plantronics headset and
  2. A pair of speakers
  3. A Logitech C920 webcam

In the VMWare remote windows 10 virtual machine, when I open Control Panel -> Settings -> Manage sound devices

I see the following two input devices

1. Microphone Array (Plantronics C725) (VDI)
  2. Microphone Array (HD Pro Webcam C920) (VDI)

However, why is it that in the Output devices section I only see one output device?

1. Speakers VMWare Virtual Audio (DevTap)

I would have expected 2 output devices (my speakers and the plantronics C725 headset). Instead it seems that VMWare is only able to allow me to use one of the two devices. The output device VMWare seems to pick is whatever I set as the Default Output Sound device on my home desktop client PC. This is really inconvenient because for work I would like to use the headset for conference calls but for home I would like to use the speakers (so I can hear sound from the main speakers even if I'm not wearing the headphones).

Is it possible for VMWare to recognize two Output devices so that I can pick an Output device that is not the Default Output device on my home PC?  It would be great to be able to use multiple sound output devices. 

chrisafl
Contributor
Contributor

This is very important to me as well. I need my speakers to be routed so if I am receiving a phone call I can hear the ringtone. Of course, I also need my headset routed so I can actually take the phone call. This seems like such a basic feature, I can't imagine why VMWare would think we need multiple microphones on a remote VDI but only one output device.

0 Kudos
sergeploue
Contributor
Contributor

agree with christafl,

is there a way to access two speakers ?

Thanks for your answer !

Serge

0 Kudos
ehosca_gemfire
Contributor
Contributor

please implement this feature to allow selection of preferred speaker.

0 Kudos